It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC requirement to RTC story - automated

Wen Bird (1111) | asked Aug 13 '15, 2:32 p.m.
I have only been working with the IBM tools for a couple of months now so I admit, I am a newbie. But I have put numerous requirements into RRC. And currently I have been told that we have to create a story in RTC with the same name and paste any details (usually everything) that we want from the requirement from RRC, into the RTC story, then add links back to the requirement in RRC and save. Basically I have been told that they act as two different programs that are link-able. 
Please tell me this is not true!
How can I take a small complete requirement from RRC and have a story created in RTC automatically?

Thank you!

One answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Aug 13 '15, 3:33 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
One of the principles of linked data is that one tries to minimize duplicate data -- instead you link to it.  Otherwise you are in a never-ending synchronization problem.

You can use a collection or module view in RRC/DOORS NG, associate it with a plan in the Jazz work item system (often referred to a "RTC" although the work item system is part of other products too), and in one action you can create implementation work items with the same name as the requirement, each linked to its related requirement.

In support of this approach, the RTC Developer license, RTC Contributor and CLM Contributor provide read and commenting access to artifacts in RRC/DOORS NG (assuming the userid is added to the RM project area and assigned an appropriate role).

Comments
Wen Bird commented Aug 13 '15, 6:38 p.m.

This sounds very interesting but I cannot quite follow the steps.

I have put a group of the items (requirements) that are in RRC, into a personal collection but I do not see any way to create a work item (story). I have opened RTC (Change and Configuration Management, one location for the Jazz work item system) but I do not see any way of creating the stories from the collection. So far I have gotten about 5 done and I need to do about 17 more today.

Thanks!

Daniel Moul commented Aug 13 '15, 7:12 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can learn more here:
https://ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.team.apt.doc/topics/t_creating_work_items_from_requirements_web.html?cp=SSYMRC_6.0.0&lang=en

You didn't mention which release you are using. This is from the knowledge center for the latest release (V6.0.0); the process is the same for earlier releases.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.