It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Avoiding ambiguous object reorganization for 2 or more exactly same web pages during Rational Functional Tester playback

Nitin Verma (1346) | asked Aug 05 '15, 9:28 p.m.
 I have 2 scenarios :

(1) The objects are recorded via recorder and then playback is tried (2) Objects are not recorded at all and find() is used to find the objects and playback is tried

I want to know in both scenarios what is the best method to differentiate between 2 or more exactly same web pages so that RFT playback does not get confused with ambiguous objects and it does the playback on the most recent web page ignoring the previous exactly same web pages

Closing the exactly same web pages is not an option for me since I am running many test suites via an automated run in RQM and any of the suite might fail and leave a web page open and the next script if it reaches the exactly same web page also fails due to ambiguous object reorganization.Also I am not sure which suite will fail so closing the left over web pages is not a option for me

2 answers

permanent link
Ara Masrof (3.2k15) | answered Aug 06 '15, 7:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The developer works forum for RFT can be found here

permanent link
Davyd Norris (20221014) | answered Aug 05 '15, 10:13 p.m.
Hi Nitin,

This forum is for Jazz products. You may get more responses if you post in the RFT forums on IBM's DeveloperWorks.

Having said that, any test automation suite should always try to start and end with the SUT in a consistent state. This would mean cleaning up any web pages that have been left open as a result of failures, or returning the SUT to a known starting web page at least.

also when performing automated functional testing at the UI level, you should also not be running many test suites simultaneously on the same machine - you really want only one interactive user per environment.

There is no way even a human could distinguish from two identical web browser sessions - so asking an automated tool to do that is a tough call. You would need to make some sort of differentiation. Even changing the top level browser window object's title would be enough to make it unique.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.