It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best practice for increasing the max output of JRS reports

David Arnone (111619) | asked Aug 05 '15, 10:52 a.m.
We currently use RRDI to do large reports.  The default limit of JRS out of the box in 3000. The report writers want me to increase that beyond 50,000 records.  Can JRS really perform and handel large results sets like RRDI/

3 answers

permanent link
Vinaykumar Saraogi (34) | answered Aug 05 '15, 11:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David,

Yes you can change the default query results in JRS. Follow these steps:

1. Shut down JRS server if running
2. Go to the server folder JazzTeamServer\server\conf\rs\app.properties and edit the properties file
3. Add this flag to the file - query.results.limit = 50000
4. Save the changes
5. Start JRS server

Comments
David Arnone commented Aug 05 '15, 12:48 p.m. | edited Aug 05 '15, 2:54 p.m.

I was not asking how to do it.  I was asking can handle large reports and if that is recommended over RRDI?

David Arnone commented Aug 05 '15, 12:56 p.m.

Can JRS handle large reports 50,000/100,000/300,000 records and is that recommended over RRDI?

permanent link
Steven Shaw (55113) | answered Aug 05 '15, 12:56 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi David,

We do disk caching on the results in the 6.0 release and then the results are paged in the UI.  So we should be able to accommodate large results.  If you try to return all the results in the UI (i.e. not paged - 50000) you may run up against limits of the browser to handle that much data. 

I can't speak to whether this is better or worse then what was done in the RRDI context.

Regards,

-Steve

permanent link
Dusko Misic (1961) | answered Aug 11 '15, 11:43 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
50k/100k/300k records in a report sounds more of a document generation scenario. Although you could use JRS (Report Builder in 6.0) for that purpose it sounds more like a job for RPE/RRDG.

As Steve mentioned in his comment, JRS has been designed to accommodate such numbers but it is not its primary use case. In our recent test we have run reports with 50k records (out of data set with 840,000 requirements, 10,000 test cases and 60,000 test execution records) and had no problems with that. Response times for first run were between 30 seconds and minute and half (depending on exact report and test environment). Emphasizing "first run" - subsequent runs were generally faster as JRS uses various performance optimization techniques.

Now, this is obviously just an example. The numbers will depend on many things like data shape, network, actual hardware, number of concurrent users, etc. The fact that you are asking for such high numbers tells me that there is good chance such reports will be run frequently which could jeopardize performance for people running 'normal' reports. Before making such change in production environment I would do some test runs in some sort of a staging env replicating your topology and data shapes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.