It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

deploy RTC changes from a test environment to production

Rafael Rodriguez Montes (23013126247) | asked Jul 27 '15, 6:38 p.m.
 Having 2 separate environments of RTC, is there any way to promote any change from test environment to production without re-doing all in production? as CQ?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 28 '15, 12:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

When you say "separate environments of RTC", do you mean two RTC servers?
Or two different RTC project areas on the same server?  
When you say "promote", what do you mean?   (copy, move, something else?)
When you say "a change", what do you mean?   If you hadn't said "as CQ", I would have guessed you might mean a change set, but CQ does not manage change sets.

Donald Nong commented Jul 28 '15, 1:59 a.m.

The only thing that can be shared between a "test" and a "production" environments in CQ is the schema, which is loosely equivalent to the process configuration in RTC. Is it what you had in mind?

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Jul 28 '15, 11:09 a.m.

yes, 

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Jul 28 '15, 11:21 a.m.

Geoffrey Clem, Since we are talking about Configuration Management I think it's "obvious" what all these words means. and yes CQ manage change sets using UCM you can link any Record type with ClearCase and link change sets, I don't know where you going with this hostility when someone ask about things that may rtc won't do it. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 28 '15, 11:35 a.m. | edited Jul 28 '15, 11:36 a.m.

No, it is not. It would be appreciated if you could specify your questions better, not everyone could have made the connection to CQ and its process - which is my understanding you mean right now - you could have meant something completely different. Geoff and I and certainly others have seen this a lot of times.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 28 '15, 11:45 a.m. | edited Jul 28 '15, 11:54 a.m.

Please also note that the domain of Clear Quest is change management. Geoff is an absolute expert on configuration management which refers to tools like Synergy, Clear Case and within RTC only to the Jazz SCM component. (Change sets refer to Jazz SCM and don't have anything to do with the process configuration which is mostly related to change management/work items like CQ).

This illustrates why it is important to provide a good explanation of what you want to do if you ask. Often times the gap between concepts, terms and definition we are accustomed to and what the requester has in mind is light years wide.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 28 '15, 11:52 a.m. | edited Jul 28 '15, 12:28 p.m.

Last not least, Geoff is one of our top contributors here (and Forum Administrator and Forum Moderator). It is not hostile if he asks for details to be able to answer better. You should probably not accuse him of being hostile.

It is just good practice to ask and it is really needed, since some of the questions have just 2 lines of words and leave a lot to guessing and interpretation.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 28 '15, 2:47 a.m.
edited Jul 28 '15, 2:48 a.m.
Assuming you refer to changes to the process. You could have used a shared process, in which case it would have been possible to create a new project area for the new template and share that. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/SetupProjects for more information about this.

Comments
Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Jul 28 '15, 11:15 a.m.

is Kind of like that, but What I was expecting is test changes like scripts behaviors on the tools, attributes, that may affect an a work item that some user could be using, so Once the behavior is good on test environment (totally separate instance of RTC) I would like to copy and paste what I have done on that instance and paste where the users are working. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 28 '15, 11:18 a.m. | edited Jul 28 '15, 11:28 a.m.

I have seen people copy and paste process XML. But if the information in test and prod is not completely the same/matching (e.g. the iteration structure) that can cause a lot of trouble. You will have to really know what you are doing if you try this.

By using process sharing, you do exactly that, but you can keep old process and develop the new process further and then let the project areas consume the process when it is most convenience. You can also keep the old process around until you are sure all is fine.

Process sharing and how it works also prevents you from infesting the project area that shares the process with stuff like timelines etc.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.