It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Plan editor won't open (Internal Error)

Michael Nidd (38155) | asked Jul 15 '09, 8:50 a.m.
The plan editor won't open. When I try to open it, I get the following notice in the editor panel:

An internal error occurred during operation: "Retrieving Data". See the error log for details.
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.ScriptException: com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ui.progress.ProgressInformation: Is not a constructor
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.JSUtils.createWrappable(JSUtils.java:151)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler$1.run(Factory.java:37)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler$1.run(Factory.java:1)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.AbstractScriptEnvironment.execute(AbstractScriptEnvironment.java:62)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler.<init>(Factory.java:35)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler.<init>(Factory.java:33)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory.newInstance(Factory.java:82)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.client.progress.ProgressClient.convert(ProgressClient.java:19)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.client.IterationPlanClient.fetchIterationPlanData(IterationPlanClient.java:415)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.editor.IterationPlanEditorInput$2.resolve(IterationPlanEditorInput.java:139)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.editor.IterationPlanEditorInput$2.resolve(IterationPlanEditorInput.java:1)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$DefaultResolver.resolve(TeamFuture.java:39)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.execute(TeamFuture.java:112)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.access$0(TeamFuture.java:110)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob$1.run(TeamFuture.java:95)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.run(TeamFuture.java:93)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

the error log gets this:
!ENTRY com.ibm.team.apt.common 4 0 2009-07-15 14:23:06.503

!MESSAGE WARNING: failed to define constant 'NONE' on type 'com.ibm.team.apt.common.Severity'
!STACK 0
org.mozilla.javascript.WrappedException: Wrapped org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: assertion failed: ScriptType 'com.ibm.team.apt.common.Severity' was not registered with the current scope
at org.mozilla.javascript.Context.throwAsScriptRuntimeEx(Context.java:1654)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.impl.ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.wrapAsJavaObject(ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.java:119)
at org.mozilla.javascript.WrapFactory.wrap(WrapFactory.java:105)
at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.toObject(ScriptRuntime.java:943)
at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.toObject(ScriptRuntime.java:891)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.ScriptTypeFeature.createAndRegisterConstructor(ScriptTypeFeature.java:150)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.ScriptTypeFeature.define(ScriptTypeFeature.java:61)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.PlanningScriptEnvironment.initializeScope(PlanningScriptEnvironment.java:36)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.AbstractScriptEnvironment.getScope(AbstractScriptEnvironment.java:87)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.AbstractScriptEnvironment.execute(AbstractScriptEnvironment.java:52)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.common.PlanningUIScriptEnvironment.execute(PlanningUIScriptEnvironment.java:188)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.common.PlanningUIScriptingSupport$1.resolve(PlanningUIScriptingSupport.java:44)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.common.PlanningUIScriptingSupport$1.resolve(PlanningUIScriptingSupport.java:1)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$DefaultResolver.resolve(TeamFuture.java:39)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.execute(TeamFuture.java:112)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.access$0(TeamFuture.java:110)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob$1.run(TeamFuture.java:95)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.run(TeamFuture.java:93)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: assertion failed: ScriptType 'com.ibm.team.apt.common.Severity' was not registered with the current scope
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isTrue(Assert.java:110)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.JSUtils.getScriptTypeConstructor(JSUtils.java:177)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.AbstractScriptType.<init>(AbstractScriptType.java:26)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.AbstractWrapperScriptType.<init>(AbstractWrapperScriptType.java:27)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.facades.SeverityScriptType.<init>(SeverityScriptType.java:31)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.impl.ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.wrapAsJavaObject(ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.java:117)
... 18 more

And that's followed by similar problems for INFO, WARNING, ERROR, FATAL_ERROR, FACTORY, INITIAL, and NEW, then eventually "An internal error occurred during operation: "Retrieving Data". See the error log for details."

I'm using Eclipse 3.5, in case that matters, but don't know what to do about this.

9 answers

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Jul 16 '09, 10:23 a.m.
mmo wrote:
mmowrote:
... The only difference I see to Mike's install is that he started
off with a j2ee galileo download and me from a reporting download. So
the only difference should be the included reporting (i.e. BIRT)
plugins. Could that make the difference?...

It DID make the difference! I just took the plunge, downloaded galileo
j2ee package and went through the same procedure again and this time
access to Plan-items worked. So, there must be "something"
in galileo's BIRT version that doesn't go well together with RTC 2.0.

Guess, RTC also comes with some reporting plugins that are
incompatible...

Michael

AFAIK, BIRT comes with the Rhino scripting engine, as does RTC. The Agile Planning tools depend heavily on Rhino, the reported error occurred during the script environment setup.
So I guess a different version of Rhino was being loaded, breaking APT :'(
We'll need to investigate what is causing the error though. I'll annotate the work item to reflect these findings. Thanks a lot for the additional information!

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

permanent link
Michael Moser (1621) | answered Jul 16 '09, 5:28 a.m.
... The only difference I see to Mike's install is that he started off with a j2ee galileo download and me from a reporting download. So the only difference should be the included reporting (i.e. BIRT) plugins. Could that make the difference?...

It DID make the difference! I just took the plunge, downloaded galileo j2ee package and went through the same procedure again and this time access to Plan-items worked. So, there must be "something" in galileo's BIRT version that doesn't go well together with RTC 2.0.

Guess, RTC also comes with some reporting plugins that are incompatible...

Michael

permanent link
Michael Moser (1621) | answered Jul 16 '09, 5:12 a.m.
Hi (I am the colleague that Mike mentioned),

alas, the approach described did NOT fix the issue for me. :-(

I did exactly the same as Mike, i.e. I unzipped a fresh galileo (reporting) download, added the directories emf, gef and the contents of the jazz directory from a jazz client download into the virgin eclipse's dropins directory and then started the beast.

It runs fine, I connect to the repository, but if try to open any item under Plans I get the same exception as before (the one Mike reported in his initial append).

The only difference I see to Mike's install is that he started off with a j2ee galileo download and me from a reporting download. So the only difference should be the included reporting (i.e. BIRT) plugins. Could that make the difference?

Any ideas?

Michael

permanent link
Michael Nidd (38155) | answered Jul 16 '09, 3:07 a.m.
That fixed it. Thanks!

Just as a note to others, the subdirectories of ...eclipse\jazz\ were copied directly into dropins (not just the jazz directory directly, as I tried first). So the dropins directory now contains these subdirectories:
build emf foundation gef reports scm scmconnectors svn ua workitem

-- Mike.

permanent link
Michael Nidd (38155) | answered Jul 15 '09, 12:38 p.m.
I just successfully tested this scenario:

1) Unzip eclipse-SDK-I20090611-1540-win32.zip
2) Extract the following directories:
jazz\client\eclipse\emf
jazz\client\eclipse\gef
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\build
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\foundation
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\reports
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\scm
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\scmconnectors
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\svn
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\ua
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\workitem

to the eclipse\dropins directory

3) start eclipse, connect to jazzdev, open plan

My Eclipse image is eclipse-jee-galileo-win32, and I don't think I installed any unusual plugins, although I didn't install the environment like you did. I had installed according to these (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DevSetupMain):

* Take a 3.5 build
* Select Help > Install New Software. Select Galileo - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo
* Deselect Group Items by Category (GEF doesn't have a category)
* Select EMF SDK, GEF SDK and XSD SDK from the Galeileo (3.5) site and install them. Do not restart when prompted.
* Open Help > Install New Software again and add the Ganymede site (http://download.eclipse.org/releases/ganymede).
* Select EMF SDO SDK and install it. Shutdown.
* Drop the jazz and links folder from the jazz/client/eclipse folder in your RTC client install into your Eclipse 3.5 eclipse folder
* Restart 3.5. Check that the RTC components are there.

The resulting install did seem to run pretty well, except for this, but your way sounds much easier anyhow. I don't have a clean image handy, so I tried just copying emf, gef, and jazz from the jazz/client/eclipse directory of the RTC-Client-2.0-Win image into the dropins directory of the eclipse I was already using (although jazz was already in the eclipse root directory). That didn't work, so I removed them and put emf and gef directly in the eclipse root directory (worth a try) and that didn't work either. In the morning, I will try a fresh install with your method for installing gef and emf, instead of getting them from the ganymede release.

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll post the results as soon as possible.

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Jul 15 '09, 11:04 a.m.
I just successfully tested this scenario:

1) Unzip eclipse-SDK-I20090611-1540-win32.zip
2) Extract the following directories:
jazz\client\eclipse\emf
jazz\client\eclipse\gef
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\build
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\foundation
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\reports
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\scm
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\scmconnectors
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\svn
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\ua
jazz\client\eclipse\jazz\workitem

to the eclipse\dropins directory

3) start eclipse, connect to jazzdev, open plan

this worked for me

my default VM is a slightly different version:

java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)

do you have plugins other than RTC installed?

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

Michael Schneider wrote:
It is a new install on Windows XP (Professional, v.2002, SP 3), and it
also happens when the plan is opened by a colleague who is also using
RTC 2.0 on Eclipse 3.5. I hadn't noticed until just now that Galileo
didn't ship with a JVM, so I guess it's using my system default, which
currently reports like this:
java version "1.6.0_11"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)

Can you get it to work if you simply unzip the RTC-Client-2.0-Win.zip
contents and run it (RTC ships with a J9 VM and Eclipse 3.4)?

I too use Eclipse 3.5 on Win XP and use a similar VM as you do:
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

However, I upgraded my RTC install with Eclipse 3.5 rather than
installing RTC in a 3.5 Eclipse instance.

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Jul 15 '09, 10:32 a.m.
It is a new install on Windows XP (Professional, v.2002, SP 3), and it
also happens when the plan is opened by a colleague who is also using
RTC 2.0 on Eclipse 3.5. I hadn't noticed until just now that Galileo
didn't ship with a JVM, so I guess it's using my system default, which
currently reports like this:
java version "1.6.0_11"

Can you get it to work if you simply unzip the RTC-Client-2.0-Win.zip contents and run it (RTC ships with a J9 VM and Eclipse 3.4)?

I too use Eclipse 3.5 on Win XP and use a similar VM as you do:
java version "1.6.0_10"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)

However, I upgraded my RTC install with Eclipse 3.5 rather than installing RTC in a 3.5 Eclipse instance.

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

permanent link
Michael Nidd (38155) | answered Jul 15 '09, 9:42 a.m.
Hi Michael,

is this a new install? Does this happen reproducible? What VM and OS are you using?

It is a new install on Windows XP (Professional, v.2002, SP 3), and it also happens when the plan is opened by a colleague who is also using RTC 2.0 on Eclipse 3.5. I hadn't noticed until just now that Galileo didn't ship with a JVM, so I guess it's using my system default, which currently reports like this:
java version "1.6.0_11"

This also happens when a new plan is created, and we have both reproduced it opening the 3.0 M1 "Work Item" Plan on the RTC project at jazzdev. I suspect it's to do with the prerequisites for running on Eclipse 3.5, but don't know where to start to track it down.
I've opened
87641: Failing to create Script Environment (Error opening plan)
to track the issue

Thanks!

-- Mike.

permanent link
Michael Scharf (781) | answered Jul 15 '09, 9:16 a.m.
Hi Michael,

is this a new install? Does this happen reproducible? What VM and OS are you using?

I've opened
87641: Failing to create Script Environment (Error opening plan)
to track the issue

Cheers,

--
MikeS
Jazz Agile Planning team

menidd wrote:
The plan editor won't open. When I try to open it, I get the
following notice in the editor panel:

An internal error occurred during operation: "Retrieving
Data". See the error log for details.
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.ScriptException:
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ui.progress.ProgressInformation: Is not
a constructor
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.JSUtils.createWrappable(JSUtils.java:151)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler$1.run(Factory.java:37)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler$1.run(Factory.java:1)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.AbstractScriptEnvironment.execute(AbstractScriptEnvironment.java:62)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler.<init>(Factory.java:35)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory$ScriptInvocationHandler.<init>(Factory.java:33)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.Factory.newInstance(Factory.java:82)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.client.progress.ProgressClient.convert(ProgressClient.java:19)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.client.IterationPlanClient.fetchIterationPlanData(IterationPlanClient.java:415)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.editor.IterationPlanEditorInput$2.resolve(IterationPlanEditorInput.java:139)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.editor.IterationPlanEditorInput$2.resolve(IterationPlanEditorInput.java:1)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$DefaultResolver.resolve(TeamFuture.java:39)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.execute(TeamFuture.java:112)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.access$0(TeamFuture.java:110)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob$1.run(TeamFuture.java:95)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.run(TeamFuture.java:93)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

the error log gets this:
!ENTRY com.ibm.team.apt.common 4 0 2009-07-15
14:23:06.503
!MESSAGE WARNING: failed to define constant 'NONE' on type
'com.ibm.team.apt.common.Severity'
!STACK 0
org.mozilla.javascript.WrappedException: Wrapped
org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException: assertion
failed: ScriptType 'com.ibm.team.apt.common.Severity' was not
registered with the current scope
at
org.mozilla.javascript.Context.throwAsScriptRuntimeEx(Context.java:1654)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.impl.ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.wrapAsJavaObject(ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.java:119)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.WrapFactory.wrap(WrapFactory.java:105)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.toObject(ScriptRuntime.java:943)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.toObject(ScriptRuntime.java:891)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.ScriptTypeFeature.createAndRegisterConstructor(ScriptTypeFeature.java:150)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.ScriptTypeFeature.define(ScriptTypeFeature.java:61)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.PlanningScriptEnvironment.initializeScope(PlanningScriptEnvironment.java:36)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.AbstractScriptEnvironment.getScope(AbstractScriptEnvironment.java:87)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.environment.AbstractScriptEnvironment.execute(AbstractScriptEnvironment.java:52)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.common.PlanningUIScriptEnvironment.execute(PlanningUIScriptEnvironment.java:188)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.common.PlanningUIScriptingSupport$1.resolve(PlanningUIScriptingSupport.java:44)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.ui.common.PlanningUIScriptingSupport$1.resolve(PlanningUIScriptingSupport.java:1)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$DefaultResolver.resolve(TeamFuture.java:39)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.execute(TeamFuture.java:112)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.access$0(TeamFuture.java:110)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob$1.run(TeamFuture.java:95)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ide.core.util.TeamFuture$LoadJob.run(TeamFuture.java:93)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.AssertionFailedException:
assertion failed: ScriptType 'com.ibm.team.apt.common.Severity'
was not registered with the current scope
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isTrue(Assert.java:110)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.util.JSUtils.getScriptTypeConstructor(JSUtils.java:177)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.AbstractScriptType.<init>(AbstractScriptType.java:26)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.AbstractWrapperScriptType.<init>(AbstractWrapperScriptType.java:27)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.facades.SeverityScriptType.<init>(SeverityScriptType.java:31)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at
com.ibm.team.apt.internal.common.scripting.impl.ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.wrapAsJavaObject(ScriptEnvironmentWrapFactory.java:117)
... 18 more

And that's followed by similar problems for INFO, WARNING, ERROR,
FATAL_ERROR, FACTORY, INITIAL, and NEW, then eventually "An
internal error occurred during operation: "Retrieving
Data". See the error log for details."

I'm using Eclipse 3.5, in case that matters, but don't know what to do
about this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.