It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I synchronize a ClearCase View from RTC Stream?

Jose Arreola (1122) | asked Jul 20 '15, 2:18 p.m.
retagged Jul 31 '15, 2:47 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
 Hello:

My Web Development team uses RTC to maintain a copy of the web project from ClearCase. Because of our agile project and tractability methods it is so much easier for us to use RTC and then deliver to CC once we are good with what we have in the RTC stream.
Checking the files in CC is kind of painful in time and it is also error pruning.

I want that a daily script gets all the files (or may be only the files with changes) that I have in the RTC stream and check-in them into ClearCase. I have read about the ClearCase Synchronize and also investigated about the cleartool. I need to decide about these two.

What is the preferred approach if:
* I have admin access to the RTC server v5.0.2
* I have developer access to the CC Views, I cannot access CC in any other way and I will not be granted permissions to do so. The CC server is v8.0.1.
* The ClearCase Synch documentation is big and it talks about configure a synchronization host, will I be able to set one of these due to my credentials?
* The cleatool can be used if I create an automated build with the Buildsystem Toolkit. Is this the best approach? 

Thanks in advance

2 answers

permanent link
Arun K Sriramaiah (3.2k13177) | answered Jul 21 '15, 5:36 a.m.
Hi Jose,

Please find the link below which will helps you in understanding the per-requesites.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.team.connector.scm.cc.doc/topics/c_sync_intro.html?lang=en

Regards,
Arun.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 21 '15, 5:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The CC Synchronizer is clearly the solution that is favored if you need to synchronize back and forth.

It would be possible to use the build mechanism to run a build and load the latest content of a stream into a repository workspace. I don't know clear case detailed enough, however if you have a view e.g. a snapshot view and you empty the view and copy the content of the repository workspace over and then check the content in as difference and create a baseline, you would be able to get the content into Clear Case.

Please note: renaming of files will break the history of the file, you will have a file in the history that disappears and a new file appearing. I don't know how the synchronizer deals with this situation, but I think it detects a rename and keeps the history.

So what you propose is possible but might have disadvantages.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.