It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Setting up RTC Extension Workshop

Arjun Pande (3714) | asked Jul 20 '15, 9:10 a.m.

Hi Ralph Schoon,

I tried to setup the workshop with RTC6.0 and I downloaded the files of Extension work shop from the below location:

https://jazz.net/library/article/1000

Client: RTC 6.0

RAM:12gb

In page82 from the workshop doc (https://jazz.net/library/article/1000),
when I created the Story WI, the operation got hung for > 3 minutes and later it gave this error message.

Error running operation 'Saving Work Item'
Network connection timed out.
The network connection timed out, the server might be under heavy load,
please try again later.
CRJAZ0099E An HTTP error occurred when thie URL was being accessed:
Error details: java.net.SocketTimeoutException

Trouble shooting tried:

1) Created WorkItem using OOB process template and it completed as expected.

2) Created WorkItem from the Project Area where Jetty was configured. In this setup,
without using Debug mode, you were able to create the work item without any issues.

3) With the Debug ON, using the extension, the same Work Item create operation just got hung.

In between, we tried increasing the Xmx values for the Debug build which the workshop used, but the
WI creation got hung for the Story item

-Xmx512M
-XX:MaxPermSize=512M

4) Increasing the timeout value in the repository connection also had the same affect.

Can anyone please help me to resolve this issue?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 20 '15, 10:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I haven't had the time to do more than explained in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/07/15/rtc-6-0-does-the-api-change-and-break-my-code/ I will try to run the full extension and see what happens and how to fix it, if I can.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 21 '15, 6:10 a.m.
edited Jul 21 '15, 6:35 a.m.
We had a short meeting and the cause of the problem was not closely following the first steps in 2.3.
The first steps in 2.3 ask to create a second RTC Eclipse client, started as a run configuration. In https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/setting-up-rational-team-concert-for-api-development/ I call this Eclipse Debug Instance. This second Eclipse client connects to the Jetty Server.

If you connect the first instance of Eclipse with the RTC SDK set up with the Jetty server in debug mode and create a work item from this instance, the Eclipse client tries to go to the breakpoint, but can't, because the Work Item editor blocks that. The client ends in a deadlock which does not allow to resume the operation and leads to the error above.

The RTC Eclipse Instance must only be connected to the RTC Tomcat Server, in order to be able to access the repository workspace. 
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Arjun Pande (3714) | answered Jul 21 '15, 1:33 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried these steps but was not able to get ahead. When I remove the debug point the work item gets saved in a normal way but when I choose to save the work item in a debug mode the following error appears:

Problem
An error occurred during "Save Work Item".

CRJAZ0099E An HTTP error occurred when this URL was being accessed: /jazz/service/com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.IWorkItemRepositoryService. Error details: java.net.SocketTimeoutException.

After this error I clicked on the "resume " then I tired to save the work item still the same problem persists.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 21 '15, 1:47 a.m. | edited Jul 21 '15, 1:48 a.m.

Does the break point trigger? If so, you are supposed to step through the code with the step symbol in debug and in a reasonable time frame (1 minute or so) press the resume button. If you get a socket timeout exception, it is too late.

There is more in the stack in the console. Can you have a look there?

If the work item saves if you have no breakpoint set, this indicates you don't have a memory problem.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 20 '15, 10:53 a.m.
If I block in the breakpoint for long enough I get another error - see below.

My System has more memory than yours. I have 32 GB, but I don't think 12 would be too few memory.
I would try to run then JUnit test to create the test database again with -Xmx512 and then try to create the test project again.

16:47:05,030 [1736402815@qtp-160631187-16 @@ 16:46 TestJazzAdmin1 <com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RemoteTeamService spnego-enabled@127.0.0.1> /jazz/service/com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.IWorkItemRepositoryService] ERROR sqlExceptionLogger                                  - CRJAZ1318E The server could not connect to the database. Try the operation again.
Transaction rollback
Lock Details:
XID   TYPE  MODE TABLENAME                            LOCKNAME  STATE TABLETYPE LOCKCOUNT INDEXNAME XID   GLOBAL_XID USERNAME TYPE            STATUS FIRST_INSTANT SQL_TEXT
----- ----- ---- ------------------------------------ --------- ----- --------- --------- --------- ----- ---------- -------- --------------- ------ ------------- --------
22370 TABLE IX   WORK_ITEM_LARGE_STRING_EXTENSIONS    Tablelock GRANT T         8                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    WORK_ITEM_INTERNAL_STATE_TRANSITIONS (2,8)     GRANT T         1                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 TABLE IX   WORK_ITEM                            Tablelock GRANT T         8                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 TABLE IX   WORK_ITEM_INTERNAL_STATE_TRANSITIONS Tablelock GRANT T         14                  22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 TABLE IX   WORK_ITEM_STRING_EXTENSIONS          Tablelock GRANT T         10                  22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    ITEM_STATES                          (21,29)   GRANT T         1                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    WORK_ITEM_STRING_EXTENSIONS          (1,11)    GRANT T         5                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    WORK_ITEM_LARGE_STRING_EXTENSIONS    (1,11)    GRANT T         4                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    WORK_ITEM_STRING_EXTENSIONS          (1,12)    GRANT T         1                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    WORK_ITEM_LARGE_STRING_EXTENSIONS    (1,12)    GRANT T         1                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    WORK_ITEM                            (1,13)    GRANT T         6                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 ROW   X    ITEM_CURRENTS                        (14,27)   GRANT T         3                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 TABLE IX   ITEM_CURRENTS                        Tablelock GRANT T         2                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          
22370 TABLE IX   ITEM_STATES                          Tablelock GRANT T         4                   22370            JAZZ     UserTransaction ACTIVE (13,435466)          

SQL: select t1.ITEM_ID, t1.STATE_ID from MODEL0.WORK_ITEM t1 where ((t1.ITEM_ID = ?) and not (t1.STATE_ID = ?))
SQL Exception #1
SQL Message: A lock could not be obtained within the time requested
SQL State: 40XL1
Error Code: 30000

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 20 '15, 10:40 a.m.
I just ran the full extension in my environment. It worked like a charm.
I just changed the VM Argument for the parameter -Xmx to 512 (below) and then successfully ran the JUnit job to create the test database.

Please note, if you save the work item as explained on page 81, 82 and have the breakpoint enabled and have forgotten to go into the Eclipse client where the breakpoint blocks the process, you will sit forever in the test Eclipse Client and see nothing - because the process is blocked. Make sure you change to the Development Eclipse and into the debug perspective.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.