It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In Rational Functional Tester, can Image Comparison be performed as a range/percentage?

James Omohundro (1111) | asked Jul 07 '15, 9:51 a.m.

Currently using Rational Functional Tester 8.6.0 with RQM in a development project.  When recording scripts using image comparisons based on screen captures, is there a way to compare images with some variability - that is a less-than "perfect" match? 

I have seen the article which has screen comparisons done with the Object Image comparison rather than the whole screen image, and this works for some of our testing, but we are working in an environment with multiple PC platforms which may have different video cards, and since the  full-screen comparison is based on the video card's capabilities, this could result in a lot of "false negatives" in testing.

Is there a way to allow some variability in the comparison, perhaps expressed as a percentage of the total number of "correct" pixels in the image comparison, as in "70%" would be a pass, while anything less would be a fail?

2 answers

permanent link
Ibrahima Sow (1) | answered Jul 07 '15, 10:07 a.m.
Unfortunately, you cannot with Image comparison. On playback it will always check the perfect match.
Is there a specific reason, you are using Screen Image?
thx

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Jul 08 '15, 12:19 a.m.
I am not sure if ScriptAssure in RFT would help this image comparison or not. I will leave it to RFT expert(you can ask in RFT specific forum here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000322)

From RQM point of view, if you run RFT script and fails as a result of image comparison, RQM allows you to update the result to be [Passed]. If you create a custom attribute in the test case result, you can provide the reason on why you change the result based on the tolerance you described above.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.