It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are there ant way for me to reduce size of the RTC DB?

jia tao (51153) | asked Jul 13 '09, 2:12 a.m.
We use the DB2 database for our RTC server and find the backup image of the database become larger and larger.(0.5G->1G->1.5G->2G).

Are there ant way for me to reduce the size of the RTC DB?

4 answers

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jul 14 '09, 3:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can you determine what is causing this growth? Try looking at the Reports page in the web UI, and examine the Repository reports 'Metrics by Namespace' and 'Latest Metrics by Namespace'.

One common candidate is if large artifacts from builds are published back to the main server. If this is the case, another option is to publish links instead.

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Jul 15 '09, 11:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes - additional information:
TechNote: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3488&uid=swg21390701

Jazz.net: http://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DatabaseMaintenanceFAQ

Eric.

nedgar a crit :
Can you determine what is causing this growth? Try looking at the
Reports page in the web UI, and examine the Repository reports
'Metrics by Namespace' and 'Latest Metrics by Namespace'.

One common candidate is if large artifacts from builds are published
back to the main server. If this is the case, another option is to
publish links instead.

permanent link
jia tao (51153) | answered Jul 17 '09, 5:26 a.m.
Can you determine what is causing this growth? Try looking at the Reports page in the web UI, and examine the Repository reports 'Metrics by Namespace' and 'Latest Metrics by Namespace'.

One common candidate is if large artifacts from builds are published back to the main server. If this is the case, another option is to publish links instead.

I run the report and find the following data:

Parameters
Namespace:*
(14 items selected)
ItemType:
(56 items selected)
Duration:
Last 3 Months

Footprint:
Attribute:800M-1200M
ChangeEvent:400M-800M

Uncompressed Footprint:
Attribute:800M-1800M

Item count:
ChangeEvent:150,000-350,000

State count:

Can you give me some suggestions to reduce the size of databases?

permanent link
Balaji Krish (1.8k12) | answered Jul 27 '09, 1:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Change Events are primarity created to track the different events and for sending feeds to the user. For e.g. change events are created when you change a Work item, deliver a change set, change a process specification, create a dashboard, errors or warnings on the server etc.

Change events are automatically deleted after a certain period. The type of change event (change event category) is used to calculate the expiration time of a change event. The tech note http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3488&uid=swg21390701 describes how to scrub the change events in the database.

You might want to run a SQL query to find out the count of different types of change events. This would give you an idea on the type of change events that are present in the database. On DB2, the following query returns the count of every change event category.

db2 "select substr(event_category, 1, 50), count(*) from repository.change_event group by event_category"

--- Balaji
Jazz Server Team

I run the report and find the following data:

Parameters
Namespace:*
(14 items selected)
ItemType:
(56 items selected)
Duration:
Last 3 Months

Footprint:
Attribute:800M-1200M

Uncompressed Footprint:
Attribute:800M-1800M

Item count:

State count:

Can you give me some suggestions to reduce the size of databases?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.