It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to import values for a work item's "Related Artifacts" link?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Jul 03 '15, 5:51 a.m.
Hello,

My goal is to be able to import a series of work items with links to external references (URLs).  Manually I would add a link type "Related Artifacts", specify a title, a URL, and Bob's your uncle.  In some cases I do it with multiple references.

I know that I can import internal links during the import process, but is it possible to create the "Related Artifacts" link somehow by specifying a URL and title in my CSV file?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jul 07 '15, 3:30 a.m.
You can do it, but only partially - the label/title of the "Related Artifacts" will never make it into the import. Note that "Related Artifacts" is a built-in link type. In the CSV file, you can only specify one value for the "Related Artifacts" attribute, either the label/title or the URL itself. If you specify the label, the attribute will not be populated. If you specify the URL, the attribute is populated, but it also comes with the problem - the RTC Eclipse client shows the URL which is fine although not nice, but the RTC Web client shows no label for that link so you can't click on it.
For links from QM and RM, RTC seems to recognize them and can get the title from the corresponding artifacts.
For multiple links of the same link type, I have not figured out a way to import them yet.

Comments
Robert Huet commented Sep 02 '16, 1:22 p.m.

Wow, the ability to import a single Related Artifacts link was working in 4.x and then broken in the 5.x web client with the addition of the label.  I just checked and it is still broken in 6.0.2.  Is there a defect open on this?  This is a real problem for my client.

Donald Nong commented Sep 04 '16, 7:53 p.m.

You can contact Support first to clarify further and provide more details.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.