It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Building dependent new changes

Aamir Hirani (3610) | asked Jun 26 '15, 3:42 p.m.
We have component SomeTest at version 1.0.0.56 and SomeService at version 1.0.0.77 such that SomeService depends on SomeTest. A change is made to SomeTest and it is rebuilt (now version 1.0.0.57) when SomeService gets built how does it know that a new version of SomeTest exists during its build?

How to figure out where is the information captured so that I can look at a given build of a component and know exactly what version of its dependencies it was built with?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 28 '15, 10:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Whenever your automated build runs, the first thing it should do is create a snapshot of the repository workspace being built, and then record the id of that snapshot in the build results (there is a checkbox for this in the JBE build when you turn on the RTC SCM for the JBE build, but this is also easy to implement in your own build scripts using the RTC scm command line).   This snapshot will then let you identify exactly what version (baseline) of any component that was used by that build.

Comments
Aamir Hirani commented Jun 29 '15, 2:10 p.m.

This snapshot will then let you identify exactly what version (baseline) of any component that was used by that build. ‘ I understand how that would allow me to understand how any component whose sources are used in the build would get recorded. But what about versions of already built components pulled out of our Artifactory repository? It is that last part that I am failing to grasp.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.