It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Reverse Patch not applying to my workspace. Anyone know why?

Nick Ranns (2347) | asked Jun 25 '15, 5:36 p.m.
First, let me explain the setup for my workspaces, because I DO think that is what is causing the issue.  Currently, I have 3 workspaces that all share the same COMPONENT: CURRENT, EMERGING and FUTURE.  I am able to make changes in my sandbox and Deliver those changes with no problems from each workspace.  However, I run into an issue when attempting to Reverse a change set--The patch is created and a I choose Auto-Resolve, however nothing happens.  No change set is created and the change is not reversed from the workspace in which the initial change was introduced.

I suspect its the fact that A) I have 3 workspaces sharing the same component, and B) that somehow I loaded these workspaces in a way that when attempting to reverse a change set, RTC does not know which workspace to reverse the change from, as the patch is brought to the Pending Changes view outside of the Workspace (i.e. the Patch appears at the top of the Pending Changes window).  So it could be running the patch in the EMERGING workspace when actually the change I am attempting to reverse happened in CURRENT.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? 

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 25 '15, 6:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

So to confirm, when you double-clicked on the Patch, it showed you the changes you expected?   And when you say "3 workspaces", I assume you mean "3 repository workspaces loaded into the same Eclipse workspace"?   If so, then yes, the problem is most likely the fact that you have 3 repository workspaces loaded into the same Eclipse workspace.   Create a new Eclipse workspace with just one repository workspace loaded, and try the operation again.   If it doesn't work, then let us know, and we can speculate further (:-).

Nick Ranns commented Jun 26 '15, 8:47 a.m.

Yes, it did show the changes I was expecting. 

And I have three repository workspaces in the same RTC Project Area.  Each one is created by loading from the same component, but different streams for each component.  I load the three sandboxes as subfolders in the same mainfolder, but they each have a separate jazz.net folder.  Am I making sense?

I'm also curious if the way I loaded my workspaces makes a difference.  There are 5 options to choose from during the initial load, so maybe an article explaining the difference between the 5 choices?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 28 '15, 2:05 p.m.

Note that a repository workspace does not belong to an RTC project area ... it belongs to an RTC user.   Also note that the term "loading" refers to creating/updating files into a "sandbox" (a directory on disk), not adding a component configuration to a workspace.  I do not know what a "jazz.net folder" is.   So I guess the answer to the first question "Am I making sense" is "not yet" (:-).   By "jazz.net folder", perhaps you mean a ".jazz5 folder"?

For the second question "Does it matter which option is used to load", I believe the answer is likely to be "no".

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 26 '15, 10:15 a.m.
I have seen a similar scenario, where the users loaded multiple configuration into multiple sandboxes on the disk.
The sandboxes where all loaded, but all were disconnected from the Eclipse workspace. Then reversing changes and merging patches in does not work. If you are "lucky" it grabs an arbitrary sandbox. As far as what I have seen, you need to have the repository workspace properly loaded and connected to the Eclipse workspace. Otherwise Eclipse just does not know where to apply the patch. Maybe you have a similar situation?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.