It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query across different project areas

Vagner Ribeiro (737) | asked Jun 25 '15, 3:12 p.m.
 Hi, I want to know if there is a possible to construct a query that search for work items in different project areas. Thanks in advance.

5 answers

permanent link
vikrant kamble (1322996) | answered Feb 04 '16, 1:51 a.m.
 HI Timo,

Could you please tell in detail how to fire queries across project areas,
I tried above solutions provided by you, but I guess I could not do exactly what you wanted to tell in your answer

Thanks in advance

Comments
vikrant kamble commented Feb 04 '16, 3:48 a.m.

No need to answer, I figured it out.

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Aug 03 '15, 4:45 a.m.
Hi Vagner,

I just stumbled over something which may help you with your request to be able to execute cross-PA queries: using "Search > Jazz Text Search" of the Eclipse client allows to search across all PA in a given repository. However, this does not allow for the refinement of what you may want from a fully fledged query, since its a plain "text" search. But this seems to be at least some way to search across PAs. Hoper that help a bit.

Cheers,
Timo.

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Jun 26 '15, 8:37 a.m.
Hi Vagner,

actually, there exists a possibility to create queries across PAs, but you need to use the RTC Eclipse client:
  1. In the Team Artifacts view, select any project area
  2. From the context menu of the PA node, select Open My User Editor
  3. In the Work Items view, select Create new query
  4. Create the query and execute it. The query will return results from all PAs.

Of course, this is not an official feature and may stop working any times. But till now I was able to run cross-PA queries using this "glitch".

Cheers,
Timo

Comments
Vagner Ribeiro commented Jun 26 '15, 8:54 a.m.

Thanks for your answer, but this approach didn't work.

Timo Reiss commented Jun 26 '15, 9:20 a.m.

Vagner,

sorry, I may have mixed things up.  However, could you try the following after having opened the User Editor as described above (step 2):

1. Open the drop down menu using the little triangle next to the top heading "User"
  2. Execute Show Recent Work from this menu
  3. In the Work Item view, select Edit current query
  4. Modify this query as needed by you (it ill become a New Query, so don't worry) and execute it

This should now be a cross-PA query. At least this time I tried it before posting; the query returned WIs from all PAs I am connected  to.

Cheers
Timo.

permanent link
Taki Nakajo (1.1k2846) | answered Jun 25 '15, 9:12 p.m.
I have discussed with the requirement with a customer before, then I reached to the below RTC story work item.

If I am correct, It might be a similar idea, you can add your comment on this record.

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Feb 04 '16, 2:59 a.m.
edited Feb 04 '16, 3:16 a.m.
Hello Vikrant,

The current methods of creating cross-project queries I am aware of:
  1. Eclipse client:
    1) use "Jazz Text Search" (Search > Jazz Text...) to search the all PAs that you can access in the selected repository.

2. Eclipse client:
    1) go to ANY Team Area at Eclipse client
    2) list the users at left side
    3) right click at ANY user
    4) click at "Show Current Work" (that query is a query across PA, but for a specific user)

After show the "Show Current Work" results you can edit that query, add and remove conditions and save that query with another name.
    Now you have a query to find work items across project areas using your conditions.

[from Work Item 94575, see Bruno Braga's comment 44]

3. RTC web client (since RTC 6.0.1):
    1) Use "My Stuff" to use the JRS cross-project reporting capabilities

4. JRS:
    1) You can create queries across projects using the scope parameter.

Maybe any of these approaches are of use to you to achieve your goals.

Cheers,
Timo.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.