It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why do I frequently see Crash Detected while using RTC SCM with Visual Studio?

Bradley Lahr (62812) | asked Jun 25 '15, 10:37 a.m.
 When I launch Visual Studio 2013 for the first time, I frequently see this message.

Crash Detected

Data necessary for Jazz to track your loaded files in sandbox 'C:\RTCSandbox' is inconsistent.  None of your changes have been lost, but the data must be rebuilt.

If you have network access to yoru Jazz repository, rebuild the data now.  If you are willing to work offline, you may rebuild the data later.

Until the metadata is rebuilt, you may encounter errors during team operations and see many unresolved changes in the Pending Changes tool window.

I have 2 choices.  Repair Now, Repair Later.

How can I avoid seeing this so frequently?

Comments
Bradley Lahr commented Aug 07 '15, 11:05 a.m.

I have some additional observations to report on this issue.    It's now happening on 2 users machines.   Both machines are running hard drive encryption software, and it also appears to be easier to reproduce during the process of updating Windows patches, and rebooting.

Can anyone think of ways of reducing the occurrence of these metadata corruption issues?

2 answers

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Jun 26 '15, 4:42 p.m.
 Do you have any VS third party plugin installed in VS that is being used in combination with RTC plugin?
Can you reproduce it on only one machine or multiple machines using VS with different users? What I want to know if if this is a user specific problem or Machine specific.

Also when you say none of the three above apply. Did you enable the option already  
 "Automatically detect when the file is changes outside the environment"  and still see the problem random?

Some action is corrupting the indices in your sandbox location. (.jazz5 folder files ) at startup. 

Maybe you can actually enable some tracing using this wiki for VS startup and then open a defect on jazz.net and attach the log. Or you can open a PMR to analyze this in more details. 

Wiki to use: 
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/IntegrationsTroubleshootingDebugRTCVSClient

Specifically Use: 
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/IntegrationsTroubleshootingDebugRTCVSClientVerbose#Modifying_the_configuration_file

Comments
Bradley Lahr commented Jun 26 '15, 4:51 p.m.

Only 1 user on 1 machine is experiencing this issue.  Everyone has Refactor installed, but this particular user is a very active developer, and routinely will be switching between wifi, and connected ethernet, throughout a typical collaborative office day.

The "Automatically detect when the file is changed outside the environment"  has already been checked, and has been in place for many months.

I will work to capture debug as you suggest.

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Jun 25 '15, 1:02 p.m.
Problem is your metatdata (Indices) folder for the sandbox is getting corrupted.  

1. Make sure your RTC workspace is not used by another user at the same time. 
2. Make sure you have this option enabled "Automatically detect when the file is changes outside the environment"  Its found Tools> Options > Source Control > Jazz Source Control > Changes. 
3. Make sure the same RTC workspace is not loaded twice in 2 different sandboxs. 

Comments
Bradley Lahr commented Jun 25 '15, 4:58 p.m.

Thanks for the fast response.   Unfortunately the 3 suggestions you posted don't apply in this case.

Do you have any other tips we can try, or troubleshooting steps that can be performed to isolate what is happening?

Lukas Steiger commented Sep 08 '17, 6:56 a.m.

Have you ever found a suitable countermeasure against this?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.