It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Develop a plugin

vikrant kamble (1323196) | asked Jun 25 '15, 2:04 a.m.
Hi All,
I want to develop a plugin. Its purpose is that it will set value of ID attribute of work item. To set value of ID attribute it will connect to database, It will fetch value from database table and set this value to ID attribute of work item.
But I am not aware of how to use RTC API to develop a plugin.
Please tell me how to use RTC API to develop plugin. How can I find required classes and methods with the help of RTC API
I want to deploy this plugin onto server.

Thank You

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 25 '15, 2:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a great Idea! If you want to wreck your system. You are not supposed to write into the database, at all and you will almost certainly screw up the system big time in doing so. You can not do what you want to do here.

What you can do is look at https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/some-community-extensions-for-rtc/ and use the extension that Yasuyuki created for a customer in Japan and shares it here "RTC Work Item Numbering – an extension that allows to create a custom work item number that is consecutive by type".

If you are not aware how to develop a plugin for RTC follow Setting up Rational Team Concert for API Development and do the workshop that is linked into it. I am pretty sure that I have already pointed you to that resource.

Comments
vikrant kamble commented Jun 25 '15, 2:47 a.m.

Hi Ralph
I have gone through that link you provided. Thank you for that.
I know about how to develop a plugin. I wanted to know that how to use RTC API if I want to develop a new plugin. Not only for this type of plugin but for any plugin that I want to develop

Thank You

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 25 '15, 2:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You should probably spend a bit more time in wording your questions and their title so that the readers understand what you are asking for,

As I wrote in the link above, there is no "how to use the API" document. And there probably never will be one.

So, what I do is, trying to look into the SDK e.g. using the Plugin Spy or YARI to find entry points in the client API. I look at references for the extension points provided by RTC. Or I look at the services RTc provides and look at the methods of interest. If I find something I search for references in the SDK.

I also use Google to search the internet for examples. Very successful, because a lot of questions and answers are available.

Then I provide what I have done on my blog that you read.

vikrant kamble commented Jun 25 '15, 3:12 a.m. | edited Jun 25 '15, 3:35 a.m.

Thank you for the advice. Next time onwards I will be more careful while wording questions and their title.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.