It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Free space availabe in cache directory is lower than minimum amount recommended

Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | asked Jun 02 '15, 7:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I discovered this as part of my work and am sharing it here in case others have seen it.

This message can appear in the JTS or application log files when the server is started:

WARN eam.server.monitoring.resources.cache.CacheManager  - The free space available "1055072256" in the cache directory is lower than the minimum amount recommended: "2147483648".  If monitoring is enabled, it may have an impact on server performance.

Is it a cause for concern?

I will provide the answer in the following post.

Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz Foundation L3 Development Team Lead

One answer

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Jun 02 '15, 7:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The message is an indication that the JVM tmpdir has less than 2 GB available. In general, the temp directory should be as fast and large as is feasible. The temp directory can be set in Tomcat or WAS using the JVM parameter:
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/path/to/tmpdir

Comments
Darren Haehnel commented Jul 25 '15, 4:04 p.m. | edited Jul 27 '15, 2:40 a.m.

I am receiving the following in my application log;  The free space available "1828696064" in the cache directory is lower than the minimum amount recommended: "2147483648".  

Our WebSphere installation is located at /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/...  The temp directories are contained within that directory tree.  

I don't understand why I would be getting this warning with the /opt/IBM file system of 20GB with 12GB free.  If we don't have the -Djava.io.tmpdir parameter set, how can I tell where it is trying to write with limited space?  

If it is trying to write to /tmp, that file system only has 1.5GB free.

Donald Nong commented Jul 27 '15, 2:50 a.m.

The default java.io.tmpdir value on Unix is typically /tmp or /var/tmp. If you have not explicitly specified this property, you need to check the free space under these two paths.
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/File.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.