It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Email Notification Problems

Rob Logie (33825041) | asked Jul 01 '09, 1:52 a.m.
Hi all,
I have a fresh install of RTC V2.0 ga on a RHES5.3 box. I am having trouble getting RTC to sent email notifications when new users are created.

To assist in debuging I setup a SMTP test harness listening on port 25 on the localhost and configured RTC to use the localhost as the SMTP server. I can telnet to port 25 on the local host, so tcp connectivity seems ok.

However, I am not seeing any attempts at connection in the log generated by the SMTP emulator when I create a new user in RTC (The user is created successfully in RTC). This would indicate that RTC is making no attempt to contact the SMTP server. I have also tested with iptables turned off, just in case, and it made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong ?. Are there any ways of getting debugging on the operation of email notification out of RTC ?

Thanks in advance

Rob L

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jul 01 '09, 5:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi all,
I have a fresh install of RTC V2.0 ga on a RHES5.3 box. I am having trouble getting RTC to sent email notifications when new users are created.

To assist in debuging I setup a SMTP test harness listening on port 25 on the localhost and configured RTC to use the localhost as the SMTP server. I can telnet to port 25 on the local host, so tcp connectivity seems ok.

However, I am not seeing any attempts at connection in the log generated by the SMTP emulator when I create a new user in RTC (The user is created successfully in RTC). This would indicate that RTC is making no attempt to contact the SMTP server. I have also tested with iptables turned off, just in case, and it made no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong ?. Are there any ways of getting debugging on the operation of email notification out of RTC ?

Thanks in advance

Rob L

Hi Rob

By default - email notification is turned off. Check you have it turned on. You can do this via the Admin part of the Web UI, or via https://<jazz>:<port>/jazz/setup.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Rob Logie (33825041) | answered Jul 01 '09, 5:34 p.m.
Email notification was definitely enabled in the configuration.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Rob L

Hi Rob

By default - email notification is turned off. Check you have it turned on. You can do this via the Admin part of the Web UI, or via https://<jazz>:<port>/jazz/setup.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Hari Vetsa (3165) | answered Jul 01 '09, 8:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is there anything related to SMTP Failures in the SystemOut.log, jazz.log and/or catalina.out?
-- This will indicate problems with RTC communicating to your SMTP server.
Can you sent a test email using "telnet <smtp> <smtp>"
-- This will verify the email system working end-to-end
Are there any corporate filters, SPAM rules triggered if email is sent from RTC Server?

Email notification was definitely enabled in the configuration.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Rob L

Hi Rob

regards

anthony

permanent link
Rob Logie (33825041) | answered Jul 01 '09, 9:02 p.m.
Hi All

The SMTP server I am using for the testing is the perl simulator available from http://wiki.nil.com/Simple_SMTP_server_in_PERL running on the local host. I can telnet to port 25 on the local host successfully, and I can inject emails into it using telnet and another email client.

RTC is configured to use localhost as its smtp server at port 25.

I am not seeing any attempts by the Jazz server to connect to the smtp test harness. If I create a new userid in RTC, how long does it normally take RTC to attempt to send a email notifying the new user ?

In the jazz.log I can see log messages like:

2009-07-02 09:16:30,034 INFO com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.scheduler - CRJAZ0868I Scheduling the task "notification.mail" contributed by compon
ent "com.ibm.team.workitem" for execution with a fixed delay of 600 seconds.
2009-07-02 09:16:30,036 INFO com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.scheduler - CRJAZ0858I Completing the asynchronous task "com.ibm.team.workitem.notif
ication.mail".

Note I have "log4j.rootLogger=TRACE, file" in the log4j.properties. Are there any specific messages that I should be looking for in jazz.log or are there any more suitable config entries for log4j.properties ?

I could not find the SystemOut.log. Where is this file normally located ?

There was noting logged int catalina.out since when the server was last restarted.

permanent link
Rob Logie (33825041) | answered Jul 06 '09, 12:12 a.m.
I have done a clean reinstalled RTC V2.0 and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Rob L

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.