It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Synchronize selective workitems

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked May 29 '15, 3:46 p.m.

Few queries on workitem synchronization:

If,

I add a new value in enumeration attribute of a work item, will all OLD work items get that value on its own? I am using RTCv5.0.2

If I remove a value from enumeration attribute of a work item, will all OLD work items too loose that value? If yes, what will it be shown for old work items using that value?

If I add/remove value from enumeration attribute of a work item, is it possible to synchronize selective work items with these new value...for example only 100 out of 1000 selected should get this value?

If I add/remove value from enumeration attribute of a work item, and if I don't synchronize the work items, in that case the old work items will continue to display the old values and the new ones created henceforth will start getting the new values. Is this understanding correct?

Please let me know.

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered May 29 '15, 4:42 p.m.
edited May 29 '15, 4:43 p.m.
Enumeration values are stored in the work item as the identifier ( id = ) of the enumeration.  You will need to expose the  project source in the RTC client to see those values.   For example, the priority enumeration:

<enumeration attributeTypeId="priority" name="priority">
                    <literal default="true" icon="processattachment:/enumeration/unassigned.gif" id="priority.literal.l01" name="Unassigned"/>
                    <literal icon="processattachment:/enumeration/low.gif" id="priority.literal.l02" name="Low"/>
                    <literal icon="processattachment:/enumeration/medium.gif" id="priority.literal.l07" name="Medium"/>
                    <literal icon="processattachment:/enumeration/high.gif" id="priority.literal.l11" name="High"/>
                </enumeration>

If your change is to what is displayed for some enumeration entry ( e.g. to correct a misspelling ) then work items currently assigned that value will reflect it when viewed as the display value for some enumeration is taken from name.
E.g. you could change name="Unassigned" to name="None" w/o much harm.

Removing an enumeration entry will leave the associated work item attribute with a dangling value which will be shown as that former value's id.  E.g.  You delete "High" but add it back with name="High", chances are that the new id will be different.  

In general adding enumeration values is safe as would be changing the displayed value.   Removing / deleting can leave undesired remnants.

See this article for what is safe : https://jazz.net/library/article/1003

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.