It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Clearcase diff/merge as external compare tool in RTC

Yael K (471030) | asked May 26 '15, 11:41 a.m.
edited May 26 '15, 11:43 a.m.
 Hi all, 

Is there a way to add clearcase diff/merge tool as external compare tool in RTC preferences in Eclipse, but without actually installing Clearcase on machine? Maybe use a certain standalone .exe file? 

Thanks, 
Yael

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 26 '15, 3:37 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
An external merge tool in RTC is a definition of a set of command lines to execute, and the pre-defined ClearCase external merge tool definition is just a set of command lines referring to the locations where ClearCase merge tools are installed by default.   So if you have the ClearCase merge tools installed somewhere on the client, just update the external merge tool definition to point to where you have those merge tools installed.

Comments
Yael K commented May 26 '15, 3:55 p.m. | edited May 26 '15, 4:42 p.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks very much for your answer.

I successfully configured Clearcase as an external compare/merge tool for RTC, on a machine with Clearcase installed. As you said, I simply referred RTC to use the Clearcase compare tool, navigating to "<CC_inst_dir>\bin\cleardiffmrg.exe" 

However I would rather not having to install Clearcase on every machine that uses CC compare tool.
I tried to copy locally "cleardiffmrg.exe" executable to a machine without Clearcase installed,
but when I try to compare a certain file in RTC, using this tool, I get an error message about a "dll" file missing dependency. After copying two "dll"s locally (from a machine with CC installed), I get an error message in gibberish. 

Do you know about a way to only depend on this "exe" file? Or maybe a small set of files I can locally extract on the machine, without having to fully install Clearcase?

Thanks again,
Yael

Geoffrey Clemm commented May 26 '15, 5:04 p.m.

I personally don't know what the dependencies are ... you might want to try the ClearCase forum ( https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000333 ) for that question.
One approach:  First try just copying over the "bin" directory.   If that works, delete all the non-merge .exe's.   That probably is now a small enough directory to tar/zip over to whatever client that wants it.

Yael K commented Jun 04 '15, 3:38 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

I tried copying the "bin" directory locally, and also the complete RationalSDLC directory. It didn't work - When I try to compare two files using Clearcase as an external compare tool, I don't get anymore dependency errors, but a compare view/windows doesn't open either.

permanent link
Fred Bickford (281532) | answered May 26 '15, 5:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yael, what about installing the CC Remote Client on each machine(that way you could push out the Same eclipse instance (with RTC provide as well as CC), you would have flexibility if you ever needed access to CC source(if you have any left) and that plugin package is very very small on the CC side of things...

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented May 27 '15, 4:23 p.m.

Is there a way to invoke the CCRC merge tools via a shell command line?   (That's the way that RTC invokes external merge tools).  

permanent link
Fred Bickford (281532) | answered May 28 '15, 7:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The following merge tools are available with CCRC(some are GUI and ccrc_cleardiff.exe is shell based):

ccrc_cleardiff.exe
ccrc_cleardiffmrg.exe
ccrc_worddiffmrg.exe
ccrc_xmldiffmrg.exe

when installing the plugin, there is a compare_merge directory(see example below) from my Eclipse shell that shares ClearCase and RTC

C:\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.rational.clearcase.compare_merge.win32.x86_8.0.1.v20141118_0548>ccrc_cleardiff.exe c:\foo.xml c:\foo2.xml
<<< file 1: c:\foo.xml
>>> file 2: c:\foo2.xml
-------------[changed 1]---------------|-------------[changed to 1]------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>+| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>+

Usage:
  Compare files:
    cleardiff [ -dif/f_format | -ser/ial_format | -col/umns n ]
              [ -hea/ders_only | -qui/et | -sta/tus_only ] [ -b/lank_ignore ]
              pname1 pname2 ...

Merge files:
    cleardiff -out output-pname [ -bas/e pname ]
              [ -q/uery | -qal/l | -qnt/rivial | -abo/rt ]
              [ -dif/f_format | -ser/ial_format | -col/umns n ]
              [ -hea/ders_only | -qui/et | -sta/tus_only ][ -b/lank_ignore ]
              [ -favor/_contrib n (base=1,...) ] pname1 pname2 ...

Although all of these executables are preceded with ccrc_ they should all follow the same argument model for the native ClearCase difftools and all the same help online would be applicable

-Fred

Comments
Yael K commented Jun 04 '15, 3:40 a.m.

Hi Fred,

"when installing the plugin, there is a compare_merge directory(see example below) from my Eclipse shell that shares ClearCase and RTC.."

What plugin are you referring to?
From where can I download it?
I assume "ccrc_xmldiffmrg.exe" is the GUI comparing tool?

Thanks!
Yael

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.