It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Hours on Epic Level

Leesen Padayachee (9955119) | asked May 12 '15, 8:52 a.m.
Hi

Can hours (estimated/corrected) be reported on an epic level? A client is using RTC 5.0, and would like to see the field 'corrected estimate' reported at the epic level of RTC.

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 12 '15, 9:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
That is rolled up in plans from child execution items. You could add a custom attribute to have hours spend.
In general in agile the mechanism on Epic level is, that you choose an epic because you don't know how long it takes. You then break it down into stories, where you have an idea of the complexity - not how long it takes, but doable in an iteration. Then you break that up in task that you can estimate.

I would suggest to do some agile training, or show the roll up in plans.

Comments
Leesen Padayachee commented May 13 '15, 1:35 a.m.

Hi

Thanks for the response. When you say " add a custome attribute", does this mean add a custom attribute to the epic? The client would like to see a total of all the "corrected estimate" fields on task at the epic level, will this be possible with a custom attribute?

Ralph Schoon commented May 13 '15, 10:19 a.m. | edited May 13 '15, 10:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can probably add the existing attributes and presentations to the work item. I am however not sure if the plans for example would do a roll up of that data if the item is still categorized as a top level work item.

Another way is create a custom work item attribute that can be used. In this case a roll up in plans would not work either, but you wouldn't expect it to.

In general I think that believing to be able to estimate any where near correctly the effort for an Epic is impossible. That is why we use story points and a logarithmic scale.  It gives you some context, but it does not trick you into believing you have an exact estimation and have manager yelling at you because the implementation took longer as expected.

You can easily try the different options in a local test system, and you should.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.