It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to (automatically) remove a test case and all its associated execution records from a test plan?

Timo Reiss (209512) | asked May 06 '15, 7:46 a.m.
edited May 06 '15, 7:48 a.m.
Hi guys,

while planning tests with RQM (current version 5.0.2) I stumbled upon a behaviour, which may be intended and expected but does not correspond to my needs and expectations:

First I create a test plan, which I link with requirements collections / modules or development plans to be covered by the plan. From there, I create (empty) test cases for the individual requirements or development items to create the desired test coverage. Then I create or add the target test environments to the plan and create test execution records for all test cases, again as empty shells just for the sake of planning. E.g., 1 requirement is mapped onto 1 test case, which is then planned for execution on 8 environments. So far so good.

Now the situation arises, that a requirement or development item is removed from the collections linked by the test plan, i.e., I also want to "unplan" the associated test case and all its planned executions from the test plan. I can easily identify the affected test case by reconciliation and remove it from the test plan.

Now, here's my question: when I remove a test case from a test plan, is there any possibility to automatically remove also all associated test case execution records from the test plan that have been previously created? Currently all the TCERs of the removed TC are not deleted, i.e., they are still contained in the plan and contribute to the execution progress of the plan.

Thanks for any suggestions on this topic! Cheers,
Timo

Accepted answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered May 07 '15, 1:45 a.m.
Currently this is not possible. There is no automatic way to remove associated TCER when testcase is removed from test plan. From the below defect workitem, you can see that the first problem mentioned is

https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=97155

. We should perhaps remove the  test plan association from TCER  when  we unlink the  test case from test plan (this one seems not feasible).
if a testcase is deleted, the associated TCER will be also deleted. But removing testcase is not "deleting it" hence the associated TCERs are not removed. This sounds to be quite reasonable enhancement candidate, you may want to raise a RFE.

Timo Reiss selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Timo Reiss commented May 08 '15, 3:30 a.m.

Don,

thanks for your answer which confirms my findings.

Cheers
Timo.

2 other answers

permanent link
Uma venkata Lekkala (52519) | answered May 07 '15, 6:56 p.m.
 TCERs that were already executed showcase effort of execution against a plan or a suite. It would not be wise to remove the effort in order to disassociate an execution effort from a plan. But TCERs that were not executed yet can belong to this enhancement request 

Comments
Timo Reiss commented May 08 '15, 3:39 a.m.

Uma,

you're absolutely right. Anything that has been already executed contributes effort, i.e., costs to a plan. I totally agree that such TCERs should not be removed from the plan. However, a plan that is being executing is already way beyond the planning stage, so I'd expect RQM to handle artifacts more rigdly.

But my point was that as long as we're planning the effort using empty artifacts, we need TCERs to estimate the overall work. In this situation, RQM should allow to remove all TCERs assoicated with a removed TC, IMHO.

The same applies, BTW, for test environments. I guess RQM is also not capable of removing all TCERs associated with a test environment, that I remove from the plan?

permanent link
Venkatesh Prasad (21721) | answered Mar 13 '18, 7:28 a.m.

Hello All,

Are there any updates on this issue please.
I am currently using V6.0.3 and I still can't untag a TCER from a test plan if the test case is untaged from the test plan.

Thanks
Venkatesh Prasad

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.