It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Setting up squid as reverse proxy server for RTC

Jean-Yves Baudy (312) | asked May 05 '15, 9:03 a.m.
Hi,
We need to install a squid reverse proxy at customer site. Is there any recommendation for this topology. Like linux server version cpu, ram, ...
It will be mostly use for scm source code management with can in our case contains more 20G of data.
Regards,

Accepted answer

permanent link
Simon Washbrook (67216) | answered May 05 '15, 9:55 a.m.
In the page I mentioned it does talk about the kind of server to use. The information is spread all over the document but it does mention "Squid performs best on 64-bit Linux, and enterprises should expect to invest in an enterprise class 64-bit server, and to install a 64-bit Linux distribution for maximum performance. Having many disk drives, configured in a RAID-0 configuration (hardware or software RAID) would be ideal for performance."

The section on "Tuning Squid" talks about the amount of memory you require and how disk drives and CPU can become bottlenecks. It provides advice about to measure and identify the bottleneck.

To be more specific about the CPU, memory etc. requires more details about the number of users and how frequently they are using SCM. Assuming this is an enterprise deployment I would recommend staying with the same Linux versions that CLM supports 64 bit versions of SLES 11 or RHEL 7 and you want to privilege memory over CPU power, consider 4GB minimum. However you will need to test in the customer's environment to see where the bottlenecks are and then tweak the configuration to get the best performance.

Bien cordialement,
Simon
Jean-Yves Baudy selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Jean-Yves Baudy (312) | answered May 05 '15, 10:00 a.m.
I read to quickly the document. I was expecting a specific chapter for this.
Thanks

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 05 '15, 10:06 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please be aware that the newer squid versions seem to have/require slightly different compiler and other settings, dependent on the version f Linus as well. You might have to adjust the settings. I just recently experimented with the document and I ran into several hickups, where I had to modify the parameters to even be able to compile the code.

permanent link
Jean-Yves Baudy (312) | answered May 05 '15, 9:42 a.m.
Thanks for you quick response.
My question was more about what kind of Linux server I can use.
Regards

permanent link
Simon Washbrook (67216) | answered May 05 '15, 9:13 a.m.
Bonjour Jean-Yves,

This is the page you are looking for:

Using content caching proxies for Jazz Source Control
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ContentCachingProxyJazzSCM

It covers setting up Squid and tuning it.

Cordialement,
Simon

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.