It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why can I only select a few link types for my artifacts in RRC/DNG?

Jesse Coleman (1323) | asked Apr 29 '15, 11:43 a.m.
Hi,
I have several project areas in RRC 4.0.7 where I have created a few custom link types, but I am unable to select these link types when linking artifacts together.  In fact, I can't even choose all of the built-in link types.  What is the logic for which link types are available/unavailable for a project area?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Apr 29 '15, 1:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
  Jesse,

In response to your comment above - "References" is actually specifically designed to be a "CALM" link, meaning that it can only be used as a cross-project link between Requirements artifacts. Unfortunately, it is not possible to use References to link between artifacts within the same project area. 

In order to configure your project to be able to use the References link type, you will need to set up a project association between two RRC project areas. To do this, navigate to the "Manage This Project Area" page for your project area, and scroll down to the Associations section. From there, select Add to add an association, choose "/rm" for the Application, and choose an RM project area from the list. Once you do that, you should be able to use the References link between artifacts in those two project areas.

Mike
Jesse Coleman selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Apr 29 '15, 11:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jesse,

Are you attempting to create a link between artifacts in different project area? If so, it is not possible to do this using a custom link type. Custom link types can only be used to link between artifacts in the same project area.

If you are attempting to create a link between artifacts in the same project area, do you see a "More ..." option in your list of available link types? If so, this would indicate that Preferred Link Types are set for the type of Artifact you are attempting to link from. You should be able to select the More option to choose a different link type if the preferred list is not sufficient for you. If you wish to configure Preferred Link Types, you can do this through the Manage Project Properties admin menu under the Artifact Types tab (only available to project Administrators).

If neither of these are helpful to you, could you please describe the exact behavior you are attempting (i.e. through which section of the product, between what kinds of artifacts, etc.)?

Hope this helps,
Mike

Comments
Jesse Coleman commented Apr 29 '15, 1:11 p.m.

Mike,

It appears that I was confused - and your answer helped me clear up some confusion.  I was indeed clicking the "more..." option, and the link types I wanted to use were still not available, but I thought that the custom link type I created was not available, and upon second look it was an available link type.

Nevertheless, it appears that there are several built-in link types that are not available for artifact linking, including the "References" link type.  This is surprising to me, because the description of the "References" link type is "(System-defined) Captures the relationship between a Requirements Management artifact and another Requirements Management artifact."  Why can't I use "References"?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.