It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to automatically sort enumeration literals from A-Z?

Bin Yang (725) | asked Apr 25 '15, 10:35 p.m.
I have a enumeration with very long literals.  Is it possible to automatically sort from A-Z?

4 answers

permanent link
Homer Pope (15812125) | answered Aug 06 '15, 10:23 p.m.
 Ralph, we have a constantly evolving Oracle EBS project where addig these literals has to happen.  It seems like it is  flaw in the design to be sorting by under the hood id.  This is a constant pain point for our project

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 07 '15, 2:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

permanent link
Bin Yang (725) | answered Apr 27 '15, 9:07 a.m.
Thanks, Ralph and Donald.

Auto sort enumeration literals is very useful feature.  In my case,  I have a Customer list which has more  than 1000 literal values now, and more is added frequently.

Hope this feature can be added to the new RTC release.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 27 '15, 9:11 a.m.

How is any user supposed to be able to work with 1000 literals? I think something seriously went wrong if you end with such a process design.

You could use a HTTP filtered value set, which would allow sorting and also filtering, this could make it less painful. I still believe you should not have to have so many values. In processes that I had to use I started hating to use them when the number of entries where larger than 10.

Bin Yang commented Apr 27 '15, 9:48 a.m.

I do have Value Sets in Attribute Customization. Even though, you still have to pick from enumeration literals.  Our Support and Dev teams have to deal with big customer base, and we cannot make our team any smaller.

I wish there is a better way to manage it.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 27 '15, 11:28 a.m.

There is no good method in any tools if the numbers for choices are that high. One will have to somehow locate the correct one.

The HTTP filtered value provider has at least a search field and you can sort. It returns a string and not an enumeration. In 6.x I hope you can also specify that a user can not sneak just add a free string. The data can be managed in an XML on the server - even from people that don't have JazzAdmin or permission to save the process.

Another way would be to create a work item type for this kind of data and create an item for each. The search would also be possible by using the text. The attribute would then be a work item. It has also drawbacks to use this approach, because you would also always see the number.

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 26 '15, 8:02 p.m.
This is a topic frequently popped up in the forum. What confuses people is that the enumerations are sorted by their IDs (hidden from the GUI), not by their literal values (visible on the GUI). If you have no had any work items associated with the enumerations, you can carefully arrange the enumerations in the desired order by manually setting their IDs in the Process Configuration Source in the RTC Eclipse client - don't do it if any enumerations have been used as you will end up with incorrect values by reassigned IDs. Here are some similar posts for your reference.
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/97265/how-to-automatically-sort-an-enumeration
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/150640/sorting-work-item-queries-based-on-custom-priorities-enumerations-not-working
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/146301/sorting-by-custom-enumeration-name
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/175676

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 26 '15, 7:33 a.m.
I am not aware of such a feature. I think the literals appear in the order you have defined them in the process.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.