It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work item linking/un-linking does not show in history ?

Achint Mathur (2046) | asked Apr 25 '15, 3:37 a.m.
retagged May 08 '15, 3:08 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
 Hi ,
We are using multiple custom built work items in out project . Some of them are needed to linked in a Parent - Child relationship . Also , we have enabled the operational behavior to ' Resolve a work item only when all children are resolved '

The problem we are facing is that some resources link the ' unresolved' child work items to the parent after the parent is moved to 'Resolved' . But the linking log/timestamp is not recorded in the work item history 

Is there a way I can enable logging so that every time work items are linked to each other , the event gets logged in history

Thanks for your answer
Cheers
Achint 

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 25 '15, 7:43 a.m.
History does not contain linking events until 5.0.2

Achint Mathur selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Achint Mathur commented Apr 25 '15, 5:33 p.m.

Thanks Sam . We are on 4.0.6  . I will discuss upgrading with my team . Could you also let me know if there is a way that I can 'lock down' linking after a particular state .

For example :
When a work item is resolved, no more work items can be linked to it ? 

Thanks for your time and effort 
Achint

sam detweiler commented Apr 25 '15, 6:36 p.m.

there is nothing in the system that prevents modifying workitems after they are closed.

one could write a server side extension to implement that behavior.

One other answer

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered May 08 '15, 3:07 p.m.
This topic in the 5.0.2 help has more information about viewing linking history:  Viewing work item history

Ken

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.