It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM: typing variable values on each test step result description during the execution (on the flight variables)

Rafael Rodriguez Montes (23013126247) | asked Apr 24 '15, 5:26 p.m.
edited May 05 '15, 7:37 p.m.
 Hello, 

I notice that there are execution variables in the beginning of the test execution, but I have variables during the execution that We don't know in the beginning and should the system ask for that once the tester goes thro the specific step not in the beigining, how can I insert this variables and make these mandatory and script the behavior for validations with Databases in real time?

Thank you. 

Comments
Paul Slauenwhite commented Apr 27 '15, 6:55 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you please explain your scenario a bit more?  What do you mean by 'I have variables during the execution that We don't know in the beginning' and 'script the behavior for validations with Databases in real time'?

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Apr 27 '15, 11:27 a.m.

for example, I'm doing a functional testing of a system, I type values, once the values have been set, I want to check on Database (Oracle,mssql,db2) that the calculations are right before move to the next step, if are not right that test step should be fail. I want to put all these validations automated scripted in the back) but now, I can't see the way make RQM ask for these execution variables prompt during the execution (not before start) Also sometimes I have table of values (the data pool that qm offers is limited and it doesn't work for me because I want to print these tables before each test case but even with RPE is hard to get this information from RQM there are "dynamic sections" that can not be find it on the schema)

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Apr 28 '15, 1:28 p.m.

any ideas? 

2 answers

permanent link
Subhajit Bhuiya (6222) | answered May 05 '15, 5:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Before running the test, from "Run Test Case" dialog, user can change / provides the values for execution variables. Similarly user can also see the the datapool (table data) in tabular format in the "Run Test Case" dialog. User can select or deselect rows from the datapool before the execution.

Comments
Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented May 05 '15, 7:35 p.m.

right but on my case, these variables are unknown until get into the step( variables that going to pup up during the flight), how handle this case?

permanent link
Tom Leser (1916) | answered Aug 02 '18, 1:37 p.m.

Hopefully you were able to figure this out, I know exactly what you're talking about as I just struggled with this too and stumbled onto the solution. 

1.  From the test script menu choose the button on the toolbar "show execution variables view".
2.  Create your execution variable (i.e. Name "Calibration Date", value "xx/xx/xxxx").  
3.  Select the execution variable checkbox you want the tester to capture during execution.
4.  Select the icon "Create set Execution variable step".  It's the icon 2nd to the right.  

Then you'll have a new step icon type different from info, reporting, execution, with a (x) and a green triangle next it.  Once you execute the step the tester will get a pop-up box to record the data as you indicate.  Unfortunately RQM doesn't allow multiple execution variables in a single step, so if you want to collect multiple things you need to separate them out into mulitple steps.

Sorry for lack of screenshots, I still don't have all the points necessary to include these in my posts.  Hope this helps!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.