It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Setup of Project Areas

Gerald Weichbold (1134) | asked Apr 24 '15, 5:03 a.m.
Hi!
We have decided to switch from clearcase clearquest (ucm) to ibm jazz (rtc, rqm, dng).
Now I have to plan the migration the configuration and the setup.

We are much more product instead of project driven. We have a hierarchical structure of our components.
customer systems use products
products use product components
product components use components

in clearcase is no really difference, but in clearquest we created a record type "System" which has different mandatory fields for planning purposes (depending on which hierarchical component is choosen).

my question is, how can we setup project areas the best way (for planning and also for component reuse)?

We also plan to use configurations!

Thank you!
Regards Gerald

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Apr 24 '15, 5:49 a.m.
Hi Gerald,
In RTC there is no option to display different attributes depending on the enumeration. So either you can select couple of different work item types or specify which fields are required depending on attribute value.

The project areas and team areas in RTC are designed to set the scope of visibility so it is up to you how you want to manage mapping project area -> system/product. There is also option to share project area template so you could potentially have the same work item types in different project areas.

Regarding planning: RTC enables to create cross project plans so there would not be an issue with having many project areas.

It all depends what is the mappings between customer systems, products and components. If it is one to many, then you can have many project areas. Otherwise it could be difficult to be manageable.

Let me know if that helps.

Comments
Gerald Weichbold commented Apr 27 '15, 6:47 a.m. | edited Apr 27 '15, 4:12 p.m.

Hello Krzystof,
yes I was already thinking about different work item types with the needed fields.

potentially the mapping between customer systems, products and components can be:

1 customer system can use many products and components
1 product can be used in many customer systems
1 product can use many components
1 component can be used in many products, systems...

do we get any (dis)advantage if we use 1 or many project area?

i thought about the following:
- 1 project area for system-version planning (workitems: system, product, component) maybe also change requests
- 1 projects for each system, product, component? (but we have at least 500 or 600) not good... maybe only on system level or product level. (workitems: change-request, maybe epics,... depends on the template [agile, formal,...])

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.