It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Java build Engine architecture

mehul Prajapati (18125554) | asked Apr 23 '15, 2:10 p.m.
Hello,

Can someone point me to JBE architecture. What i am trying to understand is where does Java build toolkit  and Ant tool kit runs ? on client or server  how the communication occurs ?

Example:
1. I have jazz server on Linux machine
2. All clients are on windows

if i want to use JBE where do i need to install java build toolkit and ant toolkit on windows client or on server ?

i plan to run the build on my local windows client m/c which will also be my build machine

if we decide to run the build on a different linux client box a dedicated one what all things needs to be installed on this box and how the communication with server happen

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Apr 23 '15, 7:21 p.m.
As Jeff mentioned, JBE only talks to the RTC server.

you use some other client (eclipse, commandline,,,) to schedule a job, which is registered to be executed by the JBE build engine with the name used when you started it.  you can have many JBE engines running concurrently.

when the JBE engine detects a job to execute, it will extract the source code from the RTC SCM server and then run the job.. after hte job is over it will update the Build Record.

Comments
mehul Prajapati commented Apr 28 '15, 11:57 a.m.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_2.0.0.2/com.ibm.team.install.doc/roadmap_form.html

I  have jazz on linux server so the document says to install the buildtoolkit on the jazz server ( and not on build server for me which is a windows box where rtc eclipse client is) i believe jbe will be also part of buildtool kit and installed on server ?

i am still lost what to install where and from where to schedule a build ?

1. Do i need to install buildtoolkit on my jazz unix server as the document says 
2. once the buildtool kit is installed on jazz server do i need to start the jbe manually ?
3. Once JBE is installed i can use my RTC eclipse client on windows machine to schedule a build 
4. where will the workspace will be created ? on jazz server on linux machine ?

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Apr 23 '15, 2:15 p.m.
JBE is just a special RTC client. It polls the server for build requests to service.

The JBE can run on multiple platforms, including windows & linux. There is a JBE installation package available; personally I just use the tarball. I would recommend using dedicated build engine(s) instead of attempting to reuse a personal machine.

Comments
mehul Prajapati commented Apr 23 '15, 2:33 p.m.

Jeff,
for test purpose can i use my personal machine ? apart from RTC eclipse client i need to install JBE client ?. how about java buildtool kit and ant tool kit ? where does those get installed ? still the picture in not clear on what to install where and how they communicate ?

Jeff Care commented Apr 23 '15, 2:39 p.m.

For test purposes sure, your machine is fine.

The build toolkit is just a set of Ant tasks that enable a running build to communicate back to the RTC server (status, results uploading, etc.). It's installed along with the JBE binaries. Using the build toolkit is optional.

mehul Prajapati commented Apr 23 '15, 2:51 p.m.

so this is where i need to install diff components am i correct ?
1. jazz server installed on linux machine A
2. i need to install RTC eclipse client on WIN machine B
3. Install JBE on windows machine B
4. install Java build tool kit and ant toolkit on windows machine B (part of JBE installations)

Jeff Care commented Apr 23 '15, 3:03 p.m.

For test purposes that looks fine.

mehul Prajapati commented Apr 23 '15, 3:03 p.m.

also is JBE an independent component ? it can be installed on any platform how does it communicate with both eclipse client and jazz server ( may be its part of installation)?

Jeff Care commented Apr 23 '15, 3:13 p.m.

I'm not sure what you mean by "independent component". I certainly wouldn't describe it that way: it's useless without an RTC server. The JBE does not communicate with other clients, just the server.

AFAIK all of the communication between the RTC server and the various clients, including the JBE, is via REST or other HTTP/HTTPS transport protocols.

Krishna Kishore commented Apr 24 '15, 12:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can refer to the following links to get more details on Jazz Build Engine

mehul Prajapati commented Apr 28 '15, 11:58 a.m.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_2.0.0.2/com.ibm.team.install.doc/roadmap_form.html

I  have jazz on linux server so the document says to install the buildtoolkit on the jazz server ( and not on build server for me which is a windows box where rtc eclipse client is) i believe jbe will be also part of buildtool kit and installed on server ?

i am still lost what to install where and from where to schedule a build ?

1. Do i need to install buildtoolkit on my jazz unix server as the document says 
2. once the buildtool kit is installed on jazz server do i need to start the jbe manually ?
3. Once JBE is installed i can use my RTC eclipse client on windows machine to schedule a build 
4. where will the workspace will be created ? on jazz server on linux machine ?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 28 '15, 4:29 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
  1. I don't see where the document you reference says "install the buildtoolkit on the jazz server".   And if it does, it is a bug ... the buildtoolkit is installed on your build server, not on the jazz server.
  2. You normally start the jbe processes via a host startup script (cron job or suchlike), but you can start it manually for testing.
  3. Once JBE is running on your build servers, you can request builds from any RTC eclipse client.
  4. A "repository workspace" is a server object.  Perhaps you are thinking of a sandbox?   The sandbox for your build will be created by the jbe on your build server.
showing 5 of 9 show 4 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.