It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sharing Data between 2 DOORS Nex Gen

Scott Raley (13542831) | asked Apr 23 '15, 8:43 a.m.
If we have two different production servers and need to share data between the two and we import something, how does the unique id system work (if we both have an artifact using number 45 and I need to import to another server) or what is the best way to track the shared data?

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 23 '15, 10:50 p.m.
It depends on the meaning of "share" and "import something". Assuming that you want a one-for-one direct replacement of the corresponding artifact in each system, you can consider using ReqIF, but with extreme caution.
1. Ideally, all systems involved should have the exact same type system (artifact type, data type and etc). This means that the types have the exact same UUID, not just their names. This can be achieved by importing artifacts into an "empty" project, or creating a project based on a project template.
2. From the first system, export the artifact(s) in ReqIF format.
3. Import the ReqIF file and create artifacts in the second system.
4. Make changes to the artifacts in the second system.
5. Export the exact same ReqIF definition that was imported at step 3.
6. Import the ReqIF file obtained at step 5 into the first system.
Following the above the steps. The changes of the artifacts can be carried over in a round-trip, at the risk of a messy type system. The artifact Id is definitely different in different systems, as it is kind of "for display" only. The UUID is the true Id of the artifact.
I see no way to keep track of the artifact Id, unless you can somehow expose the UUID.

Comments
Scott Raley commented Apr 24 '15, 5:30 a.m.

but the UUID we cannot control because if their UUID starts at 5 and we already have UUID's up to 50, when we do the import the next available is 51 so when we export back out their system will not know to update their existing data. Is this correct? CLM only has one UUID system that everything shares.

Donald Nong commented Apr 26 '15, 8:27 p.m.

Hi Scott, the UUID that I mentioned is in the form like "_74ae9ecedb5c4768b3c800d876c7e58a", which is different from the artifact ID that you see in the GUI. To make things more complicated, the UUID is in the form like "_0a284570-4077-4b2e-938e-b6ce56840f5f" in the ReqIF file. All in all, it's not that straightforward and should only be used with extreme caution.

Unless you are fully aware of its potential impact, don't try this in your production environment.
The other import options (Word, CSV and etc) seem to always "create" new artifacts and I have not found a reliable way to update existing artifacts yet.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.