It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is .project file and do we need to keep it?

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Apr 22 '15, 6:12 p.m.

Hi,

I created new project area, new stream, added new components, and created a new repository workspace.

After LOADing the workspace, it gives me one ".project" files per loaded component which is waiting for "Checkin and Deliver".

What is the purpose of this .project file? what will happen if I deliver it and let reside in stream?

I tried deleting it from a component and then tried importing files into it, which gave me error about missing .project file.

Please let me know.

Comments
GURVINDER SOKHI commented Mar 21 '17, 1:08 p.m.

so basically the .project file is version controlled as part of the component?

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Apr 22 '15, 11:27 p.m.
This is the Eclipse project description file.
http://help.eclipse.org/luna/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/project_description_file.html?cp=2_1_3_11

Comments
Pravin Patil commented Apr 23 '15, 1:24 p.m.

I tried and it failed again for me.

Is there any alternate way to get the download?

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered Apr 23 '15, 2:04 p.m.
.project file is created whenever you create an Eclipse project. I guess, when you loaded your workspace, your components had some files or when you loaded your workspace you chose to create project for the root folder. This would have created a .project file which contains name of the Eclipse project. If this is how you are going to use your workspace in future, you should checkin your .project file. If not, then you can load your workspce in a directory of your choice but make sure not to create Eclipse project. In this case however, you would not be able to work on project files from Eclipse.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.