It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 5.0.2 - Role conflict for attribute behvaviour in workflow states

vishnudharan manivannan (1183542) | asked Apr 17 '15, 7:26 a.m.
 Hi All,

We just came up with this scenario in our  business process and would like to know your thoughts on the same.

Conside the attribute "Summary" in a workitem

Now in a particular state this summary attribute is Read-only for Role 1.
The same summary attribute is Mandatory for Role 2. 

The above configuration can be set using operational behaviours "Read only attribute for type & state" , Required attribute for type and state. Also for each role I am able to configure this and save the project area.

Now here comes my question. What if I am assigned with both the Roles. Role 1 & 2 .

How would RTC behave here ? will the summary attribute be Read only OR Mandatory ?

I found that u can prioritize the roles in the project administration page. So If I prioritize Role 2 then the summary attribute becomes mandatory.

But I dont think it's  possible when there are 2000 users in a system and each one has to priotize their role everytime they have to make a change to a workitem.

Please let me know if we can resolve this some other way apart from leveraging my business process.

Thanks in advance!
Vishnu M
JazzAdmin

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 17 '15, 9:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 17 '15, 9:42 a.m.
Hi,

please carefully study https://jazz.net/library/article/292

1st Users can have multiple roles
2nd Everyone have the role Everyone with the lowest order.
3rd Roles have an order - from top to down. Example
  • Big Boss
  • Team Member
  • Everyone

Operational behavior tries to find the configuration that is responsible in the context based on the roles of the user in this context starting with the top role down the list.

If it finds an operational behavior configuration lets say for "Work Item Save (Server)" e.g. for a role, it executes this operational behavior - and ONLY this operational behavior.

E.g. if it is configured for Big Boss, Team Member, Everyone in this context is is only executed for Big Boss and not for the other roles. 

The design intent is that roles like Big Boss can have their own operational behavior configured to be less restrictive.

Example: Lets assume you have configured several preconditions for the Roles Everyone and Team Member for "Work Item Save (Server)". You go into the operational behavior configuration and check the "Preconditions and follow up actions are configured for this operation" for "Work Item Save (Server)" for the role Big Boss and you don't configure any precondition at all and save.

In the above example if a user with top level role Big Boss executes the operation (work item save), it would find it is configured with no preconditions and would perform the operation with no preconditions.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 17 '15, 10:07 a.m. | edited Apr 17 '15, 10:09 a.m.

This is by the way independent from the state of a work item or the content of an attribute. What is important in this context is

Which operational behavior (Read Only for Type and State, Required for Type and State) is configured for the operation (Save Work Item Server) for the first role that is found in this context.

You are not meant to change the order of your roles for any operation. This order should be fixed. Only administrators or roles that have the permission to save the process are able to change the order of the role. 

Permissions work different btw. as you get the permission if any of your roles grant it to you in the context. See: https://jazz.net/library/article/291

Martha (Ruby) Andrews commented Apr 17 '15, 10:54 a.m. | edited Apr 17 '15, 10:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks, Ralph. That is the most concise, straight forward description of operation behavior checking I have read.

By the way, +1 on reading both of the articles linked here (on permission and operation behavior look up). Although they mention RTC 2.0, the lookup remains the same in all CLM releases to date.

Ruby
Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz Foundation L3 Development Team Lead

vishnudharan manivannan commented Apr 20 '15, 8:37 a.m.

Hello Together,

Thank your for making it clear. I understand that RTC will execute the operation behavior which it finds first and ONLY this operation behavior gets executed.

Now our process template is not of Scrum/Waterfall. It's an unconfigured process where we do not have roles such as Big Boss, Team Member. Rather we have several states in which each role will be responsible to modify the workitem in that particular state. Considering most of the roles now have equal weightage but their read only and required attributes are configured based on different states.

Could you please suggest if there's some other way to configure RTC where I still am able to overcome my problem ?

Please advice.
Thanks again
Vishnu M

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 20 '15, 10:06 a.m.

Since read only and required attributes on state works with operational behavior, regardless which template you used, I can only point to my explanation above.

We can only help within the working model of the tools. My advice would be to review your process model. It seems to be rather complicated and I am not sure if i, as a user, would understand what I am supposed to be doing, if I have too many roles assigned.

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 21 '15, 2:33 a.m. | edited Apr 21 '15, 2:34 a.m.

Thinking about it, there would be an option to look into the SDK and take the code of the existing operational behavior. You could wrap this in some code that looks at the roles the user has and set up some custom operational behavior that is configured and works the way you want it. 

permanent link
Abhishek Kumar (49622) | answered May 08 '15, 12:28 a.m.
Hello Ralph,
             What if a  project area has two workitems(Workitem1,Workitem2) and has two roles(role 1, Role 2) for which operation behaviour is configured.(Read only for type and state) 

Now Each of the Roles Configured seperately for the  workitems types and states. Will the "WORKITEM TYPE" be considered while executing the process behavior or it is still based on role prioritization ?

So if this is not the case then ideally in RTC user can have only one role,Because when a user is assinged with both roles and is operating on workitem 2, RTC will still execute the process behaviour of Workitem 1 as that role is being prioritized.

Workitem type is also not considered.Is my understanding correct ? 

Abhishek

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.