It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Assigning work item to different team

Rama SCM (4111320) | asked Apr 14 '15, 9:55 a.m.
 Hi,

I have two team areas Team A and Team B. I have two categories and one to one association between each category and the team. I have added users at the team level in both the team areas. When I create a work item and File Against the category linked to Team A, the members of team A can work on the ticket, modify all the fields and run it thru it's workflow. However, If Team A member, wants to move the work item to Team B (by changing the Filed Against Drop-down) , user gets error saying can not modify attributes (this includes several attributes, like summary, description etc).

Any ideas on how to allow users at team level to assign the work item to different team. Adding the same user at project level does allow the user to change the team, however I would prefer not to manage users at the team level and project level. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!
Rama

2 answers

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Apr 14 '15, 8:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Rama,
RTC does allow a user to move a work items to a team of which they are not a member.
I just did this with the out of the box Scrum template:
1. Create project area "Scrum" with the Scrum template
2. Create Team A
3. Create Team B
4. Create category Team A Category and map it to Team A
5. Create category Team B Category and map it to Team B
6. Add  user "Marco" as a member of team A
7. Add user "Bob" as a member of team B
8. Create a work item and set Filed Against to Team A. The work item shows up in category Team A Category.
9. Log in as Marco.
10. Change Filed Against to Team B. Save
The save completed without error and the category is now Team B.

It sounds like the team areas in your repository are set up with different permissions; they do not allow the fields to be modified.

Ruby

Comments
Rama SCM commented May 27 '15, 10:47 a.m.

Hi Martha,

Sorry for the late response on this. I was finally able to test this. I can say this works in project with scrum template. However if I try to do it in the project (create with formal management template) it does not work. Can you please confirm if that is true? Should it work irrespective what template we use?

Thanks for your help!
Rama

Rama SCM commented May 27 '15, 10:47 a.m.

Hi Martha,

Sorry for the late response on this. I was finally able to test this. I can say this works in project with scrum template. However if I try to do it in the project (create with formal management template) it does not work. Can you please confirm if that is true? Should it work irrespective what template we use?

Thanks for your help!
Rama

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Apr 14 '15, 1:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In the process configuration for your project area, the "Everyone" role needs permission to "Remove work item from team area".  This is found under Team Configuration > Permissions > Work Items > Save Work Items

I don't know if there are other permissions needed.

If you are modifying the work item in the Eclipse client, you can use the "Why did this happen?" link in the Team Advisor to see exactly what missing permissions caused the save to fail. To do this:
Open Team Advisor view
Attempt the save
Click the "Why did this happen?" link in the right panel of the  Team Advisor.
 A dialog appears that tells what Permissions were checked when the operation was run.

Ruby
Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz Foundation L3 Development Team Lead

Comments
Rama SCM commented Apr 14 '15, 4:00 p.m.

Thanks for the answer Martha! I tried giving "Remove work item from team area" and "Modify the work item" to everyone role (other roles assigned to user already have these permissions). However, it did not work.

I think, RTC does not allow one team area member to save the work item assigned to another team (and hence not allowing to change the category/team). I just wanted to confirm that and wanted to see if I am missing something.

Rama SCM commented Apr 14 '15, 4:02 p.m.

Here is the error I get. 'Why did this happen' did not offer much help.

Problem
You don't have permission to Save Work Item [server].

Reason
In order to carry out this operation, you would need permission to perform the following additional actions:
Action:  ID:

Modify the work item's description                        modify/description
Modify the work item's summary                            modify/summary
Create a 'Help Desk Ticket' work item                    create/type/help_desk_ticket
Modify the work item's owner                                 modify/owner

Martha (Ruby) Andrews commented Apr 14 '15, 4:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Set the permission for "Everyone" to include those actions. Then, any user should be able to save the work item.
If the permissions are granted only to individual process roles, the user must be assigned that role in the "target" project area for the work item save to succeed.

Ruby
Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz Foundation L3 Development Team Lead

Rama SCM commented Apr 14 '15, 5:06 p.m.

Thanks Again! I tried that, I still get the same error.

I have assigned all the permissions under "Save Work Item (Server) " to individual process role as well as to Everyone. However user is added at team level and not at project level. Should it work? Should user be able to assign the category/filed against to a value which is linked to some other team area that the user is not part of?

I think, RTC does not allow one team area member to save the work item assigned to another team (and hence not allowing to change the category/filed against/team area)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.