It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automated copy of Process Configuration between jazz servers

Martin Wassermann (13864144) | asked Apr 14 '15, 8:19 a.m.
 Hello

we use several stages for our jazz environment. So, when we want to change our RTC process, we try this first on a development stage. When all changes are done and the new process configuration works well, we (manually) copy it to our qualify stage where our users can try out the new process. If there are still no problem we copy the process finally to our production stage.

Now we want to automate this copy process to a build job, because manually copy of process is error prone. And we would like to add some automated (Unit) tests to the process so that we can verify the functionality.

But I did not found a way to copy the process definition. With the (Java) API I'm able to get the process, and to convert it to XML, and even to create an ProcessSpecificationModel from it, but I find no way to set a process to project area.

I think if you work with stages it is important to have an automated process that bring the process definition from one stage to another stage. So did anybody know how I can copy a Process Configuration with an script or API?

Thanks and regards
Martin

One answer

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Apr 14 '15, 2:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is not an API to copy the process configuration. However, you can achieve much of what you are looking for by sharing the process.
For instance:
-- Specify that your development project area can provide process to others.
-- Refine the process in your development project area until you are happy with it.
-- When you are ready to "copy" the process to the test area, specify that the test area should consume process from the development area.
-- Test in the test area -- making any changes in the *development* project area.
-- When you are satisfied the process is robust enough for end users, specify that the production project area consume process from the development project area.
-- "Freeze" the development project area by removing permission to save from all users. (NOTE: JazzAdmins will still be able to save).
-- Start the process again by creating a new development project area.
-- There is no need to create new test and production project areas; just point them to the latest development area when they should start picking up the "new" version of the process.

For this to work, the test and production areas must be created with the Unconfigured Process, so that they do not override anything defined by the provider (ie the development project area).

For more information on sharing process, see this topic (and its children) in the online help:
Sharing the Process of a Project Area

Hope that helps,
Ruby

Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz Foundation L3 Development Team Lead

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.