It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to make the Comments field required as part of a state change in RTC?

Daniel Gilio (102124) | asked Apr 06 '15, 4:53 p.m.
 I have a customer who wants to make user add a Comment prior to completing a change of the status, Is it possible to make  user required to add a comment?

Please advise. Thanks,

Comments
Abdelrahman Hassan commented Oct 09 '17, 9:30 p.m. | edited Oct 10 '17, 12:45 p.m.

Hello Danial - It's appreciated to share with us if you were able to handle this requirement.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 10 '17, 1:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Everything there is to know is already in the answers. Summary if you are too busy to read the answers:

1. There is no built in functionality to support that
2. You could create a custom precondtion
3. You could use other attributes that actually can be made required

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 06 '15, 5:37 p.m.
I do not know of a pre-defined pre-condition that would enforce this, so you'd have to implement a custom pre-condition.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Vijay Reddy Gaddam commented Apr 07 '15, 8:06 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

Can you please help how can I implement custom pre-conditions please. Are there any tutorials then could you please help me out.

Regards,
Vijay Reddy.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 07 '15, 11:01 a.m.

See one of Ralph's workshops, such as:
https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/running-rtc-4-x-extensions-workshop-with-rtc-5-0/
For specific questions, first do a search on the forum questions.

2 other answers

permanent link
Shuchita Tripathi (31436294) | answered Apr 07 '15, 7:47 a.m.
Hi,
You can create a custom field in the work item called as 'Comments' and make that mandatory whenever it goes to next state.
You can make an attribute mandatory by following these steps:
1. In RTC Eclipse client, go to Team Configuration -> Operations Behavior -> save work item
2. In Preconditions add Required attributes for Type and State. Select the work item and the state for which the 'Comment' attribute has to be made mandatory.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 07 '15, 10:57 a.m.

Note that this would work only if there was only a single state that needed a comment, and that when they transitioned out of that state, and then back into it, they didn't need an additional comment.  One could handle different comments for different states by having multiple comment fields, i.e. "done-comment", "open-comment", "verified-comment", but that still would not deal with transitioning multiple times into a given state.

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Apr 06 '15, 10:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Daniel,
  May be you would like to explain in details with use-cases. As workaround, i suggest to use the "Discussion" Text box whenever there is change in the status of the work item. you can also sort the comments in any order you like.

Hope this helps.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 07 '15, 10:58 a.m.

I think Vijay was looking for a way to make this comment mandatory, i.e. every time I changed the status, I would be required to add a new comment for that status change.

Daniel Gilio commented Apr 09 '15, 10:10 a.m.

Manoj,

Thanks for the response. Specifically, we want to make the Comment under the discussion Section of the Defect required when entering taking the Resolve action (and entering the Resolve state). In this way, we can require the resolving user to provide a comment in the existing thread.

I tried to load a screenshot, but the Jazz.net site says I need a reputation >60 to upload an image :-(

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.