It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Switch Data Collection Component to use other method than Insight

Yenthao Pham (1848) | asked Apr 02 '15, 11:21 a.m.

We have a system that uses Insight to do the data collection for our CLM system (upgraded to 5.0.2).  We currently have no customized report from Insight, nor pulling any non-CLM data.  In this system, we only use the predefined BIRT report.

So we now realize that it is a bit overkilled to use Insight for just the data collection part, not to mention that Insight crashed and failed to do the data collection sometimes.

We want to ask if we can switch to use new Data Collection Component (depicted in the link below) as the data collection component instead, and not using Insight.  We would like to have a dcc that is light and reliable like the Java ETL (also in the link below).

In the future, if we would like to pull in non-CLM data, would we be able to use Insight as the optional reporting solution?  Meaning, Insight will only contribute the extra part of the data collection into the data warehouse DW?

Likewise, would the new reporting service JRS be another optional reporting solution, co-existing with Insight?  Both pulling data from the DW.

The 3 DCC methods are described in this link:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.dcc.doc/topics/c_decide_dc.html?lang=en

My question centers around the reporting architecture in this link:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.reporting.overview.doc/topics/c_ovr_architecture.html

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Apr 02 '15, 11:45 a.m.
edited Apr 02 '15, 11:45 a.m.
Hello Yenthao,

it's indeed possible to switch from the Insight Data Manager to the DCC ETL, if there are no customizations, like in your case.

If you will have non CLM data sources in the future you can still use the Data Manager ETL for those, just consider to run the Star job only in one of the 2 solutions.

JRS can coexist with Insight without any problem, both types of reports can be used at the same time on the same data warehouse.

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi
Yenthao Pham selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Yenthao Pham (1848) | answered Apr 02 '15, 6:06 p.m.

Many thanks for the answer.

After reading your post, I read up what entails in the dcc in the link below.

I gathered the list below (1-6) and have questions for them.  I hope you would excuse me for my ignorance of the dcc process.  My discussion is based solely on reading and not from experience.

1. The Common ETL jobs populate the project data related to project areas, team areas, timelines, iterations and contributors into the data warehouse. [DCC contributes the CLM-data, Insight contributes the non-CLM data to the DW] ?
  2. Star jobs create metrics from the data. [According to your answer, only DCC or Insight can run this.  Can DCC run this even after we introduce non-CLM data from Insight] ?
  3. The Work Items, Quality Management and Requirements jobs bring link information into the data warehouse. [DCC contributes to the DW] ?
  4. The Timesheet information ETL runs as part of the Work Items ETL. [DCC contributes to the DW] ?
  5. License jobs run only on Jazz™ Team Server and are scheduled to run every hour. [DCC contributes to the DW] ?
  6. Builds related to roles and membership data are run as part of the Common ETL and are disabled by default. [Not sure why this is disable] ?

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.reporting.admin.doc/topics/t_running_the_data_collection_jobs.html?cp=SSYMRC_5.0.2&lang=en

permanent link
Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119) | answered Apr 03 '15, 7:14 a.m.
Hello Yenthao,

I'll try to answer your questions:

1) Yes, it's possible to use DCC for the CLM part and Data Manger for the non CLM part.

2) My understanding is that the 2 star jobs are equivalent, but I have no direct test or found any documentation to back this up.

3) Yes, DCC will collect data and links for Work Items, Quality Management elements and Requirement.

4) Yes, timesheet data is collected by DCC.

5) Yes, DCC has a job to handle the Licenses Data Collection.

6) Those build were originally introduced in CLM 4.0.5 and at the time it was decided to make them optional and disabled by default. DCC keeps the same approach. See details on the original decision on comment 27 of the following work item:

Plan Item 273567 Ability to report on users, membership, roles
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/273567

Best Regards,

Francesco Chiossi

Comments
Yenthao Pham commented Apr 06 '15, 12:08 a.m.

Thank you very much for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.