It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1.1 to 5.0.2 upgrade query

Sridhar Kuna (1602017) | asked Apr 02 '15, 6:31 a.m.
We have RTC 3.0.x environment (JTS and JAZZ apps) on High availability configured with reverse proxy WAS 7.x and IHS 7.x using DB2 9.7 on Linux red-hat OS 5.x (IHS, WAS and DB's are on different servers)

As of now, IHS is pointed to primary RTC server and will point to backup/standby RTC server in case of any fail over based on setting on plugin-cfg.xml file.
Public URI was set to IHS as-> https://webserver.domain.com/jts

We are planing to upgrade RTC 3.0.x to 5.0.2. It is a 2 step process.
Need upgrade to 4.0.7 (latest on 4.x line) first and then to 5.0.2.

We can directly upgrade our infrastructure to 4.0.7 as first step in process. But for 2nd step, current infrastructure is not supported because RTC 5.0.2 doesn't support WAS 7.x, DB2 9.7 and redhat 5.x.

So, we need to move RTC infrastructure to different physical machines with supported softwares by keeping same public server root URI to get rid of any breaks/loose integrity of the current data.

The below are the steps that we are going to follow:

1.Stand up NEW infrastructure (IHS 8.5.5 and WAS 8.5.5) for the 5.0.2 HA environment on redhat OS 6.x
webserver1.domain.com, primary1.domain.com, standby1.domian.com
(Make sure to use same old public URI "https://webserver.domain.com/jts" while configuring new 5.0.2)
2.Migrate 3.0.1 to 4.0.7 on same server using same DB 9.7
3.Migrate DB2 server v9.7 to v10.1 and do some smoke tests for 4.0.7
4.Copy teamserver.properties,log4j props and shared indices from 4.0.7 to 5.0.2 RTC server and shutdown 4.0.7 front end web,primary and standby servers.
5.Update the DNS name for the new IHS server(webserver1.domain.com) with webserver.domain.com which is old IHS server to keep the same public URI to route requests on new IHS server.
6.From 5.0.2, run the upgrade steps for "DB level migration" (front end server is already on 5.0.2)

Please let us know the steps are proper?

One answer

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Apr 02 '15, 1:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Sridhar,

Here are some tips:
1) Install the latest iFix for 5.0.2 when you are setting up the machine. There are fixes to the migration code that you will want to have.
2) Do you have *only* RTC installed? If so, the files you mention in step 4 are sufficient. If you have other applications (LPA, RM, QM) installed, there are more files that need to be copied
3) I am not sure what the "DB level migration" steps are. (I could not find that term via Googling :-)). From reading the help, the steps in the topic "Migrating databases" would not be sufficient, because the upgrade needs to run other commands (such as the command that moves LPA data in to the JTS in 5.0.2).

Although it is more work, you may need to install 4.0.7 on the updated machine, then move the database as described, then run the upgrade to 5.0.2.

I *think* this would work, but have not tested it. I encourage you to try a dry run to verify before actually doing the upgrade:
 -- Install 5.0.2 (and iFix) but do not run setup
 -- Use database tools to make a clone of the old database onto the new database
 -- Copy the 4.0.7 files to the 5.0.2 machine (or mount a drive). Make sure that teamserver.properties points to the database you cloned (ie the one you want to migrate to 5.0.2 data)
 -- Run the upgrade tools to "upgrade" from 4.0.7 data to 5.0.2 data

Ruby
Martha (Ruby) Andrews
Jazz Foundation L3 Development Team Lead

Comments
Martha (Ruby) Andrews commented Apr 02 '15, 1:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

And, it goes without saying, make a full back up of database and configuration files before starting, in case you need to roll back.

Sridhar Kuna commented Apr 06 '15, 2:24 p.m.

Thanks ruby for your prompt reply.

1 Yes, we will use latest iFix on 5.0.2
2 We will take backup of db's and config files before we proceed.
3 Yes. We have only RTC (JTS and JAZZ) installed. We don't have RM and QM.
4. As you said, i think we should not run JTS/setup while setting up 5.0.2 servers.
5. I think, i don't need to copy files from 4.0.7 to 5.0.2. We can just mount 4.0.7 server RTC directory on new 5.0.2 server before we do upgrade with scripts from 5.0.2. So, that it will consider mounted directory for "-oldJTSHome" and "-oldApplicationHome" params defined as part of JTS and JAZZ upgrade scripts. That will copy properties files and do other updates automatically.
6. Before we run upgrade scripts, we need to make sure old HTTP server (that's where it set as 'Public URI' currently) is shutdown and update DNS name for new HTTP server with old HTTP server and do re-configure to work in sync with primary/standby.

We need to try test run to make sure it works as expected.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.