It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Edit Resolution without triggering an action

Neeraj Laad (324) | asked Mar 20 '15, 7:22 a.m.
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to update or edit the "resolution" of a work item without triggering a new "workflow action".

I have a custom workflow where I want user to be able to change the resolution without moving to the next state but the presentation in the web UI is disabled by default and user needs to change a new action for it to be able to change the resolution.

Just to clarify what I'm trying to do:

In Progress -> (Resolution A, Resolution B, Resolution C)
Invalid -> (Resolution D, Resolution E)
Complete -> (Resolution A, Resolution B, Resolution C)

When the work item is in "In progress" state, I want him to be able to change the resolution between A, B or C, but I cant seem to do that at the moment.

I also tried using a dependent enumeration instead of using built-in resolution, but couldn;t get that to work either. Any ideas or suggestions?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 20 '15, 8:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, this is not possible. The resolution in that presentation is a non attribute based presentation. I was also not able to show the resolution as a normal property which would have allowed to show it in an additional presentation.

I think what you try to do does maybe not make such much sense in the context of a RTC workflow. The resolution as I understand it is really implemented to be used in the final closed state(s), where the reason for resolving (closing) the work item is chosen.

You should consider if you want to add a custom enumeration that provides the information independent from the resolution (of the workflow).
Neeraj Laad selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Neeraj Laad commented Mar 20 '15, 11:29 a.m. | edited Mar 20 '15, 2:52 p.m.

Thanks Ralph and Sam.

I understand that is the real puspose of resolution. and as I said I did try to do it as a noremal custom attribute of type enumeration. Then I added a dependent enumeration based on state attribute.

This seems ok in Eclipse but in the web UI the value set does not change unless the user saves the work item and reloads the page. 

Is there a way to do it as the user chooses the action on the UI?

BTW, I'm using RTC v5.0.2.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 20 '15, 11:36 a.m. | edited Mar 20 '15, 11:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As I already mentioned above, I don't see a way to do that.

Neeraj Laad commented Apr 08 '15, 11:40 a.m.

Thanks Ralph

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 20 '15, 7:58 a.m.
No. This is not how the system works.  Resolutions can only be set on state changes. They act like a dependent enum, but are handled with special code.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.