It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can the ClearCase version importer and ClearCase synchronizer be used together?

Stephane Couillaud (15632344) | asked Mar 16 '15, 5:26 p.m.
edited Mar 16 '15, 5:33 p.m.
Can the ClearCase version importer and ClearCase synchronizer be used together?  For example,  lets say one day I decide to import labels on a stream in a stream using the ClearCase synchronizer but a few months later I decide to use the new ClearCase version importer instead in the same component.  Is that an issue? 
Or another example, can I use the ClearCase version importer to import labels on a stream in a component and then use the ClearCase synchronizer to sync both way with ClearCase?  My point is are both tools compatible when used together or  can there be conflicts?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Yoshio Horiuchi (611) | answered Apr 05 '15, 10:59 a.m.
CC synchronizer doesn't care about CC version importer - and vice versa. I think Geoff's answer is correct.

Please note that this scenario is not supported too.

Stephane Couillaud selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Mar 19 '15, 12:34 p.m.
I beleive it is either one or the other.  Once one tool is used, there is no option to switch to the other.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 21 '15, 9:52 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I agree with this answer, but for folks who are interested in the details, I will speculate a bit (I haven't confirmed any of these speculations by testing or reviewing the code). 
The importer shares a lot of code from the synchronizer, so there is a reasonably good chance that the importer just re-used the synchronizer mechnism for linking an RTC file/directory item to a ClearCase file/directory element.  
If that is the case, then after importing a bunch of code, you can create a synchronization stream against that imported code, and start two-way synchronizing between RTC and ClearCase.  But I believe the importer has no knowlege of which particular version the synchronizer has imported, so if you ran the importer after synchronizing, the importer would not re-use any of the versions imported by the synchronizer, but instead would import its own copy of those versions, so you'd end up with two versions ... one imported by the synchronizer and another by the importer.
So unless you are very careful, your users will get confused, which is why I believe Abraham's answer is the correct one (:-).

Yoshio Horiuchi commented Mar 23 '15, 7:11 p.m. | edited Mar 24 '15, 7:55 p.m.

Using ClearCase Version Importer and ClearCase Synchronizer together is not supported.

If you force to run them, you would see different versions for Version Importer and Synchronizer as written in Geoff's comment.

permanent link
Stephane Couillaud (15632344) | answered Mar 24 '15, 4:45 p.m.
Thank you @Yoshio & @Geoffrey.  One last question on the same topic.  What if we have two streams, call it Main Stream and Feature stream. On Main stream we use the ClearCase synchronizer to import labels M1, M2, & M3 and then we synchronize going forward with ClearCase (no more imports on that specific stream).  On Feature stream we use the ClearCase version importer instead, where we import labels F1 & F2 (with label M1 being the common ancestor to both streams) then going forward that stream is used for RTC development exclusively.  My question is, does this scenario work when different import tools are used for different streams?  Or is the best practice to use the ClearCase synchronizer exclusively, if we plan on synchronizing back to ClearCase when multiple streams (with a common label) are involved?

Steam Main
        |
       M1---------------Feature Stream
        |                                  |
       M2                              F1
        |                                  |
       M3 

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 24 '15, 8:04 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I believe that the CC synchronizer doesn't care whether or not versions have been imported by the CC importer ... it just will synchronize back to ClearCase whatever versions are currently selected by the synchronization stream.   But note that I don't think you can tell the CC importer to attach what is importing to some existing version in RTC that was not brought over by the CC importer ... e.g., if M1 has been brought over by the synchronizer, you cannot tell the importer to attach F1 off of M1.   (Yoshio: Please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.