It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Quickplanner and 5.0.2 ifix

Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8280269) | asked Mar 12 '15, 9:00 a.m.
All,

For CLM 5.0.2 there is a ifix002, and ifix002-for Quickplanner, and now an ifix003. Are the quickplanner fixes from the 002 version in ifix003? Support does not think so, and the readme does not state enough about the QP information.

Any ideas if this QP iFeature stuff is in iFix003 or if I have to wait until iFix004 or 6.x?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 12 '15, 10:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 13 '15, 5:11 p.m.
There are two iFix streams ... the primary iFix stream, and the QuickPlanner "iFeature" stream.
The QuickPlanner iFeature is the same as the primary iFix, but with a QuickPlanner feature enhancements and fixes added in.

So if you are using QuickPlanner, you will want to load the QuickPlanner iFeature.
If you are not using QuickPlanner, then you can load either the iFix or the iFeature.

So why is there an iFix and an iFeature stream?   IBM support has a rule that new features cannot be added to an iFix.  But there were some critical QuickPlanner enhancement that was badly needed by a variety of customers, enough to warrant the creation of the parallel iFeature stream.

Geoffrey Clemm selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Mar 12 '15, 11:03 p.m.

Thanks, I'll go ahead and jump off the cliff now...  :-)

I have one half of a client that want some needed fixes, and the other half hungry to start using Quickplanner after the upgrade. Those features look nice as they would not be able to upgrade again until at minimum fourth quarter.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 12 '15, 11:40 p.m.

To my knowledge, there is virtually zero risk of any negative consequences by using the QP iFeature instead of the standard iFix, so this particular cliff is only about 6 inches high (:-).

Abraham Sweiss commented Mar 13 '15, 9:31 a.m.

Geoffrey,
Can the iFIx02 for QP be installed on top of iFix03.   If not this seems like we have a gap in our process.  Does not seem right that clients need to choose on adding a feature or applying fixes.
-Abraham

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 13 '15, 6:51 p.m.

The iFix/iFeatures are cumulative, so you never have more than one iFix/iFeature installed at a given time.  So you never install an iFix/iFeature "on top of" another iFix/iFeature.   If you replaced iFix03 with QP-iFeature02, then you have decided to roll back the iFix03 fixes to the iFix02 level (and install the QP iFeature at level 02).  So it is never a "feature or fix" choice ... it is always a "fix or fix+feature" choice.

Don Weinand commented Mar 16 '15, 1:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Geoff's answer is correct.   Once you install an iFeature you should continue to install the follow on releases of it that will mirror the iFix releases for 5.0.2.   It will always contain the latest iFix changes plus any additional changes for Quick Planner.   If you were to ever then install a standard iFix instead, it would essentially roll back Quick Planner to the state when 5.0.2 was GA released. 

Thanks,
Don
RTC,  Tracking and Planning Development Manager

One other answer

permanent link
Abraham Sweiss (2.4k1331) | answered Mar 12 '15, 11:57 a.m.
In general all iFixes are cumulative.  Unless there was some type of exception, iFIx 3 should contain the Qp fixes.  

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Mar 12 '15, 12:10 p.m.

Thanks,

I would think so, but often there is some kind of "code freeze" or something that pushes the items to the next release. I found a day one GA issue in 5.0.2, but the fix was set to ifix002 even though we were a month away from ifix001.

I'll give it a go anyway...

Don Weinand commented Mar 16 '15, 1:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This answer is wrong.   See the answer and thread below from Geoff.

Thanks,
Don
RTC, Tracking and Planning Development Manager

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.