It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I simplify the creation of a linked work item on a different repository?

Neal McKegney (551422) | asked Mar 03 '15, 3:51 p.m.
We deal a lot with work items on different repositories linked together with the 'Related Change Request' link type.

I have a client side plugin that will do it, but ideally I'd like to have it on the server.  I've seen examples of a button being added that will create a draft work item related to the original.  Is something similar possible?  Ideally, I would  still be prompted, after pushing the new button, to select the project area for the linked defect.

Any help would be appreciated.

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Mar 03 '15, 4:03 p.m.
the server side plugin has no UI.. you would have to create a client side UI (or web ui) to execute the request.

you could put the code to do the actual workitem creation on the server, but not sure there is any advantage,
unless you use the web UI.

Comments
Neal McKegney commented Mar 03 '15, 4:38 p.m.

Most of our users are using the web UI, which is why I'm investigating this route.  The workflow I'd like is the following:

- user opens work item on repo1
- user pushes button to create related work item
- user is prompted to select the target Project Area (as if they were creating a related change Request link)
- Draft work item is created in the target project for the user to fill in and save.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.