It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

System Z - Endevor to RTC Migration

VK L (8177155159) | asked Feb 27 '15, 5:28 a.m.
Hi All,
We are looking to migrate from Endevor to RTC. Endevor exists on Z/os.
I read that RTC server can be on any platform - If say, RTC exists on Windows, and we migrate using a normal import (instead of zimport), build system has to be on Z/OS Platform?

Please advise and share any related links

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Jorge Diaz (8664434) | answered Feb 27 '15, 6:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi VK,

yes, in your deployment for using RTC for System Z applications development, you can place the server in any of the supported platforms. You can check Recommended CLM deployment topologies 5.0 and Alternative CLM deployment topologies 5.0.

Now the BuildToolkit (that contains the Build Agent), yes  it has to be installed on your system Z; you want to install it in any LPAR in which you want to build or deploy your applications using RTC.

Regards,

Jorge.

Comments
VK L commented Feb 27 '15, 7:32 a.m.

Thanks. If i have RTC on windows, and migrate all mainframe codes using normal scm import -> Will the RDz Integration with RTC (or) the SCM at RTC Level will be fine - Will the codes be usable?
I read that zimport utility is used to import z-components/files into RTC + it does all the required conversions for compatibilty. Is zimport available with RTC-windows?
Also, RDz-RTC Integration for z-components, Is this usable with RTC-Windows?

Thanks.

Jorge Diaz commented Feb 27 '15, 9:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

In general yes, you have to take make sure you set correctly the codepage. Note that part of what zimport does is creating zComponent projects for you: eclipse projects with a certain nature so RTC recognizes them for these specific features.
zImport does not make sense in other environment than zOS.
Regarding the integration, it is an eclipse IDE, so yes it is available in Windows.

VK L commented Feb 27 '15, 10:23 a.m.

Since zimport can be used only for z/os to z/os migration, how can the code-compatibility be retained, while migrating from Endevor-z/os to Endevor-RTC?
I read that zimport does some conversions during the import to make it compatible to the tool. If i import the mainframes code into RTC-Windows - in this case, the conversions to make the code compatible to RTC will not happen & will this not make the source code unreadable in RTC?
Please advise

VK L commented Mar 03 '15, 4:43 a.m.

Since zimport can be used only for z/os to z/os migration, how can the code-compatibility be retained, while migrating from Endevor-z/os to Endevor-RTC?
I read that zimport does some conversions during the import to make it compatible to the tool. If i import the mainframes code into RTC-Windows - in this case, the conversions to make the code compatible to RTC will not happen & will this not make the source code unreadable in RTC?
Please advise

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.