It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

While working with RTC Extension, if a small change in code is required to my provisioned plugin what steps should be followed? Do we need to restart the server always?

anup Gaur (1392144) | asked Feb 24 '15, 7:29 p.m.
I'm trying to build some custom RTC extensions (Operations advisors and Participants). I have gone through the examples and they are working fine. Now if I need to make a small change to the implementation class like writing System.out.println(), I have to go through a whole lot of steps:
1) Update site.
2) stop server
3) Clean the work directory in tomcat
4) start server

Is there a faster way for this?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 25 '15, 8:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Under development follow https://jazz.net/library/article/1000 and use Jetty to develop. This avoids having to to redeploy and having to restart the server always. At least minor changes to the extension code can be done without always restarting the test jetty server.
anup Gaur selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sam detweiler commented Feb 25 '15, 8:17 a.m.

Development environment is always easy!

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 25 '15, 8:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The question was "like writing System.out.println(), I have to go through a whole lot of steps"... You don't just add one System.out in a production plugin.

sam detweiler commented Feb 25 '15, 8:21 a.m.

true. I missed that point..

anup Gaur commented Feb 25 '15, 11:20 a.m. | edited Feb 25 '15, 11:20 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I think I am going to try it with Jetty. This looks to be the best case for my requirement.
If I can test it on Jetty without deploying it on Production, without a restart that will save a whole lot of wait time. Thank you.

anup Gaur commented Feb 26 '15, 1:08 p.m.

Hi Ralph,
I configured the Jetty and it works like a charm. In fact the code changes are like hot patches.
No server restart required!! Just change the code and test in the client.
Thanks a lot.!!

2 other answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 25 '15, 7:18 a.m.
the OSGI console 'might' provide a mechanism, but I don't know how to attach a console to a running server.

because of the overhead, I always recommend to create a schedule for publishing code changes, and test prior on parallel systems. 

that schedule could be daily, depends on what your organization can handle

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 24 '15, 8:14 p.m.
up can change 3, to use the web request

1. update site
2. https://server:port/ccm/admin/requestReset
3. stop server
4. start server

3 erases the builton.txt file in the work directory which causes the work directory to be rebuilt on next start

no way I know of to speed up the cycle.

Comments
anup Gaur commented Feb 25 '15, 6:49 a.m.

The server start and stop cycles clearly is an overload for every little line change in code. As this can be a minimum 10 - 20 minutes for one cycle. If we only knew where the code is deployed after the provisioning , we can simply replace it with the new jar and rename it or something. This would not take more than 30 secs.

Thanks so much!!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.