It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to connect a cloned installation to the cloned DBs ?

long TRUONG (3654118146) | asked Feb 10 '15, 10:15 p.m.
 First time trying to clone an installation of CLM 4.0.6 & the SQLserver 2012 DBs to pristine app all-in-1 Windows server and pristine Windows SQL server rspectively. And not familiar upgrades on servers with already working DB connections or install from scratch with new Derby DBs.

Am not sure what steps I need to access the DBs from the app server, as the "repotools-ccm reindex all" could not access the DBs.

So far the steps I took:
  • DBAs cloned the DBs to the new SQL server
  • copy the entire installation via 7zip to appServer, with  "D:\IBM\rtc_406\JazzTeamServer\server\sqlserver\sqljdbc4.jar" in the right place.
  • Modify SQLserver name in all teamserver.properties.
  • Now tryinng to reindex everything as PRD cannot be shutdown to copy the installation and the indices at the same time when the DBs were copied.
  • Once successful will attempt to upgrade directly to 5.0.2 without ever getting the cloned 4.0.6 up

Wonder if a listener, an SQLserver agent or something else have to be set up on the app-server after DBAs cloned the DBs (don't know if that is DBA's responsibility or mine). Note that the installation (and hence teamserver.properties) is copied from a TEST env which uses an older PRD-cloned copy of the DBs, while the DBs were recently cloned from PRD. Both PRD and TEST have the same account/passwd for their own DBs.

Or could it be that the copying of the installation only brings inert credentials masks without the encrypted part behind them.

com.ibm.team.repository.db.jdbc.location=//N01DSW227\:1433;databaseName\=ccm;user\=svc_rtc;password\={password}

Here are the error messages I got:

D:\IBM\rtc_406\JazzTeamServer\server>repotools-ccm.bat -reindex all

Repo Tools

Provisioning using "D:\IBM\rtc_406\JazzTeamServer\server\conf\ccm\provision_profiles".

Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries, Version 4.0.6 (RJF-I20140130-1407)

Change and Configuration Management - Core Libraries, Version 4.0.6 (RTC-I20140205-1437)

To submit questions about issues, go to the Jazz.net forum at https://jazz.net/forum.

To find more information about a message, see the CLM Messages Information Center at

https://jazz.net/help-dev/CLMErrorMessages/index.jsp.

CRJAZ1363I Loading the configuration from "file:conf/ccm/teamserver.properties".

CRJAZ1778I This server is configured as an application.

CRJAZ2558I Setting the local server rename state to false and the openServerDescriptionServiceTemporarily state to false.

CRJAZ1365I The server is attempting to connect to the following database: "//N01DSW227:1433;databaseName=ccm;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx"

CRJAZ1840W The following driver could not be loaded and registered: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver. This JDBC driver

JAR file must be provided in a path that is configured by the server scripts. Verify that the driver is in the expected location

of "D:\IBM\rtc_406\JazzTeamServer\server\sqlserver\sqljdbc4.jar" or consult the product setup instructions to change the location.

CRJAZ1093E The "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService" feature could not start.

CRJAZ1141I Cannot get the service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IServerDescriptionService".

CRJAZ2448I The public url property is not set. This is used to determine the running state of the server. The repotools command will skip this check and continue processing the command.

CRJAZ1840W The following driver could not be loaded and registered: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver. This JDBC driver

JAR file must be provided in a path that is configured by the server scripts. Verify that the driver is in the expected location of "D:\IBM\rtc_406\JazzTeamServer\server\sqlserver\sqljdbc4.jar" or consult the product setup instructions to change the location.

CRJAZ1840W The following driver could not be loaded and registered: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver. This JDBC driver JAR file must be provided in a path that is configured by the server scripts. Verify that the driver is in the expected location of "D:\IBM\rtc_406\JazzTeamServer\server\sqlserver\sqljdbc4.jar" or consult the product setup instructions to change the location.

CRJAZ1204I The database "//N01DSW227:1433;databaseName=ccm;user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx" does not exist, the Jazz tables have not been created, or the database user does not have the required privileges to access the database.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered Feb 12 '15, 10:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You're copying to a new server?  If so, check to make sure there is a SQLSERVER_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE environment variable has the path to the driver.  Also if using WebSphere Application Server, you must also add a custom property that points to the sqljdbc4.jar JDBC driver.

4.0.6 Knowledge center link for reference: Setting up an SQL Server database

long TRUONG selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
long TRUONG commented Feb 12 '15, 4:01 p.m.

Thx Erica,

That was it. I khew about it and had to reset for each upgrade, yet didn't think about it ! Duh! (Mind you had I forgot, it would still be OK for upgrade on same box as we have the jar file within the installation area, and we keep the old version install area around, intact) 

long TRUONG commented Feb 22 '15, 1:28 p.m. | edited Feb 22 '15, 1:39 p.m.

After resolving the connection issue we still run into login and access issues, fortunately we dug out the resolution from DBAs who cloned the DBs for us:

• DBAs had always delivered cloned DBs to us on a silver platter, ready to go (on ourTST env), never had any issue with accessing the DBs. Now we found out what DBAs would have to do besides the bare bone cloned DBs.
  • First, passwd was never copied over (and unfortunately we have no records of the raw passwd) this time so we had to get the passwd reset. 
  • Once it is reset we had to find out the syntax of specifying the raw passwd on the teamserver.properties file.
  • It wasn't easy as we tried to debug both the syntax&the passwd set by a new DBA (eventually reset with IBM doc), not knowing which side causing the issue. IBM support advised passwd without quote in replacing {password}.
  • Still no access with login seem OK. Started RTC/RRC in lame status, set/encrypted passwd via DB connection (both jts&ccm) 
  • Login OK but no access: DBA had to copy "access" over for each DB.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 11 '15, 9:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am puzzled why you would rant to reindex the copy of the database. Besides that, the application complains about not being able to load the jdbc driver. I wonder if just copying it is all that is needed. From my experience with Microsoft, you usually have to install something at least.

Comments
long TRUONG commented Feb 12 '15, 4:06 p.m.

You were right, the log did confirm that it could not find the jdbc, but the path was right, only the env var was missing as per Erica in next answer. Had been trying to post below comment in all day yesterday in vain.

Thx Ralph,
On upgrades, copying the jdbc driver to the new version area has been working fine; the only difference is on upgrades tt is copied from one location to another on the same server, I will check this out.
I believe I need to re-index as per the backup document you referred to in another of my questions https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/BackupCLM,  back up has to include the back up of indices stored in the installation area, along with the backup of the DBs, otherwise reindexing is required on restore. This is further emphasized in the 5.0.2 online backup documentation. We do not have the backup of indices in the same time frame as the DBs copying. And furthermore, we had copied the installation from TEST env and the DBs from PRD env.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.