It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What triggers emails on work item creation

Sean Burke (3789136235) | asked Feb 09 '15, 8:11 p.m.
 If I create work items and assign a user as a owner, should they get an email?  If owners are not getting emails, where is the first place to troubleshoot this?

2 answers

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Feb 10 '15, 3:08 a.m.
I just tried the following:
  1. As user A, I created a new WI; prior to the initial "Save", I assigned the WI to user B.
  2. As user A, I created another new WI, but this time I did not assign it to a user on creation; only after the WI has been saved, I assigned it to user B and saved the WI again.

User B received Email notifications in both cases:

1. User B received a "full" summary of the WI (i.e., containing Summary, Status, Description, Type, Project Area, Owned By, Subscribed By, Id, Creation Date, Created By, Restricted Access)
  2. User B received on an update information (i.e., Owned By)

Both Emails stated that user B received the respective Email due to user's relationship as "Owner" of the WI.

In summary, this looks like the answer to your question is:

1. Yes, owners are able to get an EMail notification from WI creation / assignment.
  2. If they do not, the place to check is the Mail Configuration in the CCM User Profile (CCM > User Icon > View My Profile and Licenses > Mail Configuration) and check, what "owner" rules have been disabled to prevent your user from receiving the appropriate notifications. (In my case, user B had checked all options in the owner column)

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 09 '15, 9:06 p.m.
edited Feb 10 '15, 8:09 a.m.
Based on my reading of the terms of the users email config

they can get email when they ARE the owner, when some ELSE SUBSCRIBES them to a workitem, or when they are ASSIGNED an approval.

I do not see 'when I become the owner', only when 'I AM the owner'.

so, I think this notification (becoming owner) is not sent by design

On create, ONLY subscribers get email.

edit:  looks like I am wrong on this one. I see the entry in the mail config.. just don't have reliable experience with it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.