It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we modify the owner of the build definition from one project area to other?

Vijay Reddy Gaddam (562841) | asked Feb 04 '15, 1:19 a.m.
 Hi,

When I'm trying yo change the owner of the build definition from one project area to other I get the following error:
Problem
An error occurred during "Save Build Definition".

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: CRRTC3017W The build definition cannot be moved to a different project area.

Can some please help me out in changing the project area for a build defintion?
When tried to change the owner of build definition from Project area to Team area which belongs to the same project area, it is working fine.
So, is it possible to change the project area for a build definition?
if so, How can I do it.

Thanks and Regards,
Vijay.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 04 '15, 2:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As most of the items a build definition exists within a project area and you can not change the owner to something outside this context.
If you want a copy of the build definition in a different project area, use the Eclipse client.
In the new Project Area create a new build definition. In the Build Definition wizard select "Create a build by copying an existing build definition"

Browse the project area and select the build definition to use as source.

Click Finish and you are done.

Comments
Vijay Reddy Gaddam commented Feb 04 '15, 3:36 a.m.

Hi Jeff & Ralph,

Thanks you for your suggestions. From the above, when trying to create build definition using copy of existing build definition, only the configuration of the build definition is carried, but lost the data associated to that build definition, What I mean is build results for that build definition. Can we have any way such that this also can be moved.

Thanks and Regards,
Vijay Reddy.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 04 '15, 3:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As this is a new build definition and you haven't build against that, this is to be expected.

As far as I know, that is not possible.

permanent link
Jeff Care (1.0k3833) | answered Feb 04 '15, 1:47 a.m.
As far as I'm aware the error message is not lying to you: build definitions can not be "moved" from one project area to another. I suppose you could write a program against the Java API that could copy a build definition but I have not done it myself.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.