It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Steps to move from SQL 2008 to SQL 2012 on RTC 4.0.6

Mike Shkolnik (9808160143) | asked Feb 03 '15, 2:52 p.m.
We're getting ready to move the databases and I want to make sure I am not missing any steps. One big question is do I need to go through the "server rename process" when only changing the DB server and not the App server?

run server.shutdown on app server
Copy databases to the new server
      All databases will be renamed - does this cause any issues?
Backup and edit the following files - update with new DB server and new DB names (plus new passwords if different):
      conf/jts/teamserver.properties
      conf/jazz/teamserver.properties
Rebuild indexes:
      repotools-jts.sh -rebuildTextIndices
      repotools-jts.sh -reindex
      repotools-jazz.sh -rebuildTextIndices
      repotools-jazz.sh -reindex
Remove temp files from:
      server/tomcat/temp/*
      server/tomcat/work
run server.startup

Am I missing anything? Is there a repotools command I should run to test the new DB setup? Unfortunately, since I can't actually test this on a different app server without running the Server Rename Process due to the change of the Production app server to the Test app server, I will be doing this in Production without a full test. Rollback plan is to restore backups of the teamserver.properties files and reindex.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Feb 04 '15, 3:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Mike, if SQL server does the upgrade of the DB for you, you don't need any repotools commands. You would otherwise use repotools export and import to migrate the database (e.g. if changing vendor or if there is no way to upgrade the data otherwise such as different architectures).
If you change the database server and/or name you have to make sure the database connection properties in the teamserver.properties files get fixed.

And I would suggest a full backup before you do all this.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 04 '15, 3:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no need to rebuild any of the indexes, as long as the indexes don't get deleted.

Mike Shkolnik commented Feb 04 '15, 12:41 p.m.

Is this true even when DB server name and DB names are changing?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.