It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Auto-check in of new files without Eclipse projects

William Bailey (611) | asked Feb 03 '15, 12:53 p.m.
I was wondering if there is a way to auto check-in a changeset when new files are added to a component outside of the RTC Eclipse client, if we aren't using Eclipse projects? 

We don't currently plan on using Eclipse projects; however, adding new files to a component without an Eclipse project just shows "Unresolved" even when auto check-in is enabled. We work primarily outside of Eclipse in Windows Explorer, but for our new users the Eclipse client is easier to grasp than the Explorer Shell.

Are there any other workarounds or settings that can we can change to enable this?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Feb 03 '15, 2:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Bill - it is not quite clear how you are working.  Your files are only placed under RTC source control (or any form of source control plugin in Eclipse) if there is an Eclipse project shared using Team->Share Project.  How are you managing to bypass this step?  Apologies if I misunderstood your explanation.

anthony

William Bailey commented Feb 03 '15, 3:18 p.m.

Hey Anthony,

Sorry for the confusion. When right-clicking and loading a repository workspace in RTC 5.0, we select Browse the components to select the folders to be loaded, then under Advanced Options on the following screen, we select Load the selected folders but do not create Eclipse projects.

There aren't any projects created within Eclipse, but RTC can still automatically detect our changes in the directory that happen outside of the client.

I hope that cleared up how we're working a little bit--I can put together a more concrete example if needed.

Thanks,
Bill

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 05 '15, 1:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have tried this in RTC-5.0.2, and auto-checkin is working fine with files that are not in an Eclipse project.
In particular, my set-up is:
- Load the component using the "load the selected folders but do not create Eclipse projects" option.
- Check the "automatically detect changes" box in the "Team -> JazzSourceControl -> LocalChanges" preference.
- Check the "auto-checkin local changes" box in the "Team -> JazzSourceControl ->CheckinPolicies" preference.

Every time I save a file anywhere in the loaded component, it automatically gets checked in to an RTC change set.

Comments
William Bailey commented Feb 05 '15, 2:40 p.m.

Thanks for taking the time to try that out. Is the behavior the same for you when adding new files to the component which are not already under source control? I'm currently using those two settings that you mentioned, but they only create the change set when I'm modifying or deleting existing files, rather than adding new ones.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Feb 06 '15, 12:59 a.m.

For me, this works for new files, as well as modified and deleted files.
Note I am using a Windows box ... behavior may differ on non-Windows boxes.

David Lafreniere commented Feb 09 '15, 11:22 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 04 '15, 3:12 a.m.
edited Feb 04 '15, 3:13 a.m.
Unfortunately the SCM system is ver dependent on Eclipse recognizing an Eclipse project to work properly in the Eclipse client. If the folder is loaded into the workspace and there is no Eclipse project, the folder does not get recognized by Eclipse and the SCM system does not pick up any changes.

I am working on articles on Jazz.net, where I don't really want to load the whole web site, but a folder, and work on the content.So I face a similar challenge.

What works for me is to load the folder and let RTC create an artificial Eclipse project. All I do is to make sure the Eclipse project does not ever get checked in.

I use manual check in, to make sure that does not happen. If you want to use auto checkin, you would have to ignore the .project file and actually check in the .jazzignore file, so the .project file never gets checked in.
If you usually load one folder, you would only have to have the .jazzignore file there. Otherwise, you would get .jazzignore files in each of the folders you load. If that is acceptable and you have a .jazzignore file in the folder to load, auto checking would work for you.

I think, if a .project file ever gets checked in, you could still add it to the ignore list and it would be removed, unless you have completed the change set.

This is the best way, I am aware of to handle this.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Feb 04 '15, 3:17 a.m.

PS: you could try to add the pattern .project to the Ignored resources in Eclipse under Window>Preferences>Team>Ignored Resources, if you never plan to use Eclipse projects, this should solve the problem of the .jazzignore files.

William Bailey commented Feb 05 '15, 2:43 p.m. | edited Feb 05 '15, 2:52 p.m.

[Duplicate comment]

William Bailey commented Feb 05 '15, 2:48 p.m.

Working with artificial Eclipse projects is a good suggestion--we've added that extension to our ignore lists now so we can work in either way, depending on the use case. I'm also glad to hear that we're not the only ones trying to use RTC in this way.

Thanks for your help!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.