It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Case Writing Best Practice

Peter Storey (1137) | asked Feb 02 '15, 4:47 a.m.
edited Feb 02 '15, 4:12 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

I wonder if someone can help out with probably a basic query.

I have set up my test cases under a test suite in Rational. Up to now, each time I create a new test suite I duplicate all the cases within the suite, remove them and then add in the duplicates (I.e. so a new instance of the case exists within each suite).

The execution parameters are set at suite level, and are passed into the case depending on the scenario.

Should I duplicate the suite and leave the same instance of the test case in? The issue I can see with this is that it will probably skew the reporting? I.e. it may pass / fail depending on the scenario, and the reporting would surely pick up the latest run state?

By duplicating the cases in each suite, it would mean each instances of the same case would need to pass to satisfy the requirement, but there is a lot of overhead!

Appreciate any answers.

Comments
Paul Slauenwhite commented Feb 02 '15, 6:28 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why are you duplicating the test cases?  Test cases and test suites are intended to be reused across executions, using test case execution records and test suite execution records.

Peter Storey commented Feb 02 '15, 8:18 a.m.

So the test suite is a certain type of scenario and the execution parameters are defined at suite level and passed into the case.

Two cases (in different suites) may be linked to the same requirement but run using different execution variables. Both would need to pass in order to pass the requirement. If I only had once case, the requirement pass / fail status would be set to 'Pass / Fail ' even if it had only been ran once?

One answer

permanent link
Peter Storey (1137) | answered Feb 02 '15, 8:18 a.m.

So the test suite is a certain type of scenario and the execution parameters are defined at suite level and passed into the case.

Two cases (in different suites) may be linked to the same requirement but run using different execution variables. Both would need to pass in order to pass the requirement. If I only had once case, the requirement pass / fail status would be set to 'Pass / Fail ' even if it had only been ran once?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.