It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Process provider and inheritance with Fine-grained Customization of Configuration Data

Christian Morgan (317714) | asked Jan 26 '15, 11:35 a.m.

Doesn't seem like it's possible to leverage the "database" storage option in a provider-inheritance configuration.  It appears that the child project areas that inherit the enumeration set to database storage can properly see the enumeration and they have the expected ability to add new literals, but when the work item is saved the new literal is not saved to the process config.  Where-as when done in the process provider project area, the enumerated list is modified in the configuration as expected with the new literal values and new work items see all the literals as expected as well.

Is it possible to set up Fine-grained Customization of Configuration Data, specifically enumeration attributes (either just new literals or entire enumerations) in inheriting project areas and have the storage set to "Database" so the literals can be added from work items?

I can see not variable in the Fine-grained Customization of Configuration Data wiki where one can even specify database storage on a new enumeration defined in the inheriting project area.

The issue is in setting the override in the process inheriting project area for enumerations will disconnect that section of the process configuration from the provider from that point forward.  That is a heavy consequence and why my customer prefers use of the Fine-grained Customization of Configuration Data where possible.

The issue of having to manage solely from the process xml in the inheriting project area might be ok. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 26 '15, 11:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I am aware the DB stored enumerations don't work with process sharing. I have not checked recently, so maybe I am outdated.

There are some - very manual - approaches for fine grained process customization when sharing the process. See https://jorgediazblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/managing-fine-grain-process-customization-for-work-items-in-rtc-4-0-1/ . I have to confess, I have not done that myself and no real practical experience.
Christian Morgan selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Christian Morgan (317714) | answered Jan 26 '15, 11:51 a.m.

Ralph,

Thank you for the quick response.  I have already implemented some fine grain process cust for presentations and it works really well.  Just wasn't sure if I have missed something, turns out I did......probably a reference in the docs that says "database" storage doesn't work with shared process. ;-)

Thanks again for the response and clarification.

-Chris

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 26 '15, 12:07 p.m. | edited Jan 26 '15, 12:08 p.m.

I found https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=289206 and you might want to state your need, on one of its parent stories.

I had certainly hoped this was implemented in the mean time, apparently it wasn't.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 26 '15, 12:08 p.m.

PS, please accept the answer.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.