It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the conditions for copying the XML source from one RTC project area to another?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Jan 26 '15, 10:40 a.m.
Hello,

I would like to copy the customizations that I have made from one RTC project area to another.  Essentially I'll just use the Eclipse client to copy the XML configuration source across.

Are there any specific conditions that I should be aware of.  For example, can I copy the XML across if the project areas are based on separate process templates?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 27 '15, 7:27 a.m.
edited Jan 27 '15, 7:54 a.m.
sure, simple really..   two approaches.

if the servers know about each other (are friends), you can share the process config on Process A across servers as well.  No copying required.

otherwise, in eclipse, in the Team Artifacts view, right click on the Project whose process config you want to copy,
select Extract Process Template.  You will need to provide a process template ID. This is the string you see when you select the process ID, Scrum for example. you cannot have two with the same name/ID string. 

then in the Process Template view,  right click on the process Template you just created and select  Export.

this will place the template and any additional artifacts in a zip file..

access the other server in eclipse, use the Process Templates  view and select Import process template,
point to that zip file, make sure the names/ID are unique on that server...  voila..

to make this imported template the new 'Scrum' template for example, open the Scrum process template,
and change its ID string. save. Open the new Process template, change its ID to Scrum, save..
done.
Andrew Trobec selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Jan 27 '15, 7:50 a.m.

Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks Sam!

One other answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jan 26 '15, 10:56 a.m.
generally this is not supported.  I don't think this has been tested.

I''ve had luck when the process designs where the same, and failed almost every time, when the designs were different.

I strongly recommend the share processd model approach, even if you have to use more than one master/parent.

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Jan 27 '15, 2:35 a.m.

@sdetweil

Thanks for the answer Sam!  What would be the best approach if I am replicating a project area configuration to a different server?  Is there a way to convert my current process template including any configuration changes into a new process template that I can transfer between servers?
Regards,
Andrew

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.